Chapter Thirty-Nine: Euphoria

My body was physically vibrating and I loved every moment of it. I felt like I've accomplished something magnificent but in reality I haven't done anything. I stared at myself in the morphed reflection of the ice bucket and grinned. I looked fucking good, as good as I felt in this very moment. Fuck it's been a while.

    I couldn't take my eyes off myself and I wanted to verbally express my internal thoughts but my jaw was locked so hard I couldn't speak. I peeked up at Nash who had a wicked smile on his face.

    "You ready to come home, Ex?" He grinned.

    I ignored his face and started piling the blow on the table into another line. I was so focused on how straight I wanted it to be, I almost forgot its purpose. I leaned down and breathed in through my nostril another line.

    Ironically, I missed Nash.

    "Let's go see the boys," I wiped my nose and stood up. I wanted to go for a run, or break something, I haven't felt this way in so long. I was on top of the world.

I had to prepare myself. I couldn't lose myself.

    The plane took us exactly where I thought it would. The house was the exact same as I remembered it to be. I'd think by now they'd have moved, but this house was a literal steal.

My high was slowly fading and I didn't want it to. I didn't want to think about anything, I didn't want to believe anything. Nash wavered his hands in a gesture that meant I should walk in first. I hesitated doing so until he lifted his shirt to remind me of the gun he was carrying.

I nodded and walked in slowly, feeling a wave of familiarity wash over me. Their security system had improved, but not much else.

    It was weird walking in here and not having a dog close by. I found my way directly to where we'd usually hang out, in the living room. I still remembered where exactly to go, it was odd.

    I shouldn't have suspected that there wasn't a surprise up their sleeves. There usually was. I walked into the scene of Darius holding Billy close to his chest with a calm expression on his face. Billy didn't even attempt to move which never truly surprised me.

    Marcus was holding a squirming Sam while he attempted to blink back teary eyes. He was always a coward.

    I remained calm, even in the way I spoke. I was once a leader and I had to start acting like it again. Internally, I was shocked to see the two betrayers standing in front of me, in a whole new City. "Boys," I commented towards Marcus and Darius.

    Ironically, I couldn't help but notice their upgrade on furniture. What was once dirty, mismatched chairs, turned into fancy leather couches. I stared at them all, one by one slowly before my eyes drifted to the pound of coke sitting on the coffee table, sliced open and already dipped into.

    "Where's Vince?" I asked finally.

    Marcus stared at me as if I was the last piece of meat in the market. He didn't change much, he was still tall and slender. Even through his dark skin, you could see purple bags under his eyes. Of course even in the chaos, he still had one headphone propped in his ear. We were never the closest but we still got business done. I guess we got along for the most part, but there was something about him and I that never fit the puzzle. It didn't look like much had changed.

    Marcus shifted his glare to Darius who only nodded back at him. Darius. That mother fucker. I shouldn't be surprised to see that he hasn't changed much and if he let me see him through the black hoodie while he's been stalking me, I would have figured that out months ago. He lifted his chin in my direction as a form of silent greeting. He was a man of little words as I was, but I always knew what he was thinking.