Chapter Twenty-Eight: Rejoice

I've never worn so many formal clothing in all my life, than what I have in the past few months. In the spike of my psychotic chaos, my main attire was sweaters, heavy chains, and guns. To trade my luxury in for a buttoned shirt, never defaced by someone else's DNA, is definitely not something I'd ever see in my future.

The fact that I'm still breathing is enough.

At least the day was clear and warm. The water flowing down the stream looked inviting, especially when all the ducks swam happily by the edge of the water, patiently impatient to receive food.

"Looks just the same as when we were kids," Tyler said, sitting on the wooden bench beside me.

"When's the last time you've been here?"

"When I took her on our first date."

"About seven years ago."

I didn't have to look at him to know he was smiling. He was happy.

"Is Aria bringing her here?" He asked, his face suddenly distorted.

"Yes."

"But she knows to bring her at this time right? At this exact spot?"

"Yes."

"Okay, but you're sure you gave her the right location? She's never been here before, maybe she-"

"Tyler," I cut. "She's going to be here."

I met his glance. "What if she says no?"

A laugh slipped out of my mouth before I had a chance to contain it. "Christ, Ty. You're a mess. You're starting to sound like me."

He let out a large breath, a failed attempt to contain his nerves. Then smiled. "Fuck, I'm never nervous."

"It's a good look on you."

Just as he was about to counteract, the words fell short when he saw two beautiful women walking in the distance of the field. You could he their faint laughter as it carried along with the breeze of the cool air. They were so full of energy, of life.

Tyler wiped the palms of his hands on his dark jeans for about the fifth time since we'd been sitting down. I stood up with him and took his hand for a handshake. I slipped the dark blue suede box in his hands. "Good luck, buddy." I turned away from him to give him a moment for his thoughts.

I walked towards the girls, meeting them halfway. Aria gave me a sweet smile, while Lacey gave me a genuine one. I extended my hand towards my girl for her to take and began walking with them to meet up with the lonely man by the bench.

"I haven't been here in years," Lacey said, looking around at the scenery before us. "It was a good idea to visit. I've missed feeding the ducks."

"It's a nice place," I mentioned, quiet.

"What's he doing up there?" Lacey interviewed.

"So is this where you came when you were a kid?" Aria piped up.

"My dad and Ty's dad used to take us all the time when were little kids. I used to come here all the time." Lacey smiled.

I could see very clearly in my friends face that he was nervous. He was attempting to contain the emotion, but I knew well enough. It was a good thing that Lacey was oblivious to many things.

I slowed my pace, having Aria follow suit. Lacey continued her pace, unaware that she was now walking by herself.

"Is she suspicious at all?" I whispered to Aria.