Chapter Thirteen -- Progression

"Your friend Tony seems like quite the character," Aria took a seat in the booth at an old, quiet diner.

It looked like something out of the fifties, bright colours plastered all over the walls and chairs. Neon signs such as Eat At Home and 24/7 were stuck above the bar side where there was red stools sitting underneath. The floors were checkered black and white which the booth colours were light blue and yellow.

"Yeah, he's wild," I sat across from her and crossed my hands on top of the table. I felt uneasy, unsure of what to really say.

"He looks up to you a lot, I could tell," She pointed out while she straightened out her hair and adjusted my sweater to fit more comfortably on her.

"That's because he's short," I muttered. "He and I uh, go back a few years, to when I first moved here. He's a decent guy I just need to keep my distance for the most part." I truthfully spoke. I would keep my distance, if I could but I was an idiot that made poor decisions on welcoming him and his baggage back into my life.

"Oh, I get it," She nodded.

The waitress walked over, sporting a high ponytail to support her bleached blonde hair. She took a good look at the two of us before introducing herself in a peppier way than should be. "Hi guys, what can I get you to drink?" She held her pen against her small notepad, ready for a response. Her plastic face stayed as still as a statue, as if she became completely frozen.

"A water for me," I said quiet, averting my eyes from the uncomfortable stares she was withholding against us.

"May I have a coffee please?" Aria asked in a polite tone while making eye contact with the waitress. She smiled, kind towards everyone, even when the waitress wasn't looking so kind back.

Without a word, the waitress walked away.

"Coffee at nine in the evening?" I pointed out and she smiled sheepishly. How cute.

"I breathe coffee." She mentioned before opening the sticky menu. "What's good here?" Her eyes left mine.

Although I didn't remember it and I couldn't be so sure, I think I ate here once upon a time. I vaguely remembered accidentally tipping the waitress two hundred dollars instead of twenty and thinking that the colour choices in here were making the hallucinations worse, three booths over from where we currently were.

"Everything is pretty decent," I said, scanning through my own menu. "Order whatever you want."

I scanned the diner, seeing little people here. It made sense, we were on a pit stop with nothing but fields and forests near by.

How the fuck did I end up here? I thought to myself, trying to piece together the puzzle.

"A water, and a coffee," The waitress set down our drinks before standing up straight and plastering a fake smile back on her face. "Are you two ready?" Her voice, fake as she looked. Sad.

I looked up at Aria and let her order first, being the gentleman she tells me I am. "I'd love the Belgium waffles with the side of fruit, please."

"Cool," She smacked her gum between her teeth. "And yourself?" She leaned her hand on the table and turned her focus completely on me, blocking the view of Aria.

I gave her a soft frown before changing my expression into a raised eyebrow; disbelief washing over me. "nothing, thanks," I dismissed her rude behavior and handed her the menus.

She scoffed in rejection while raising her eyebrows. I looked away, uninterested which through my peripherals, I noticed her give a sour look at her notebook. She finally walked away with the menus and once again, I was alone with Aria.