Chapter Twenty-Six: Verity

Chapter twenty-six: Verity

A feather tickled my arm ever so gently, soothing my skin. It was weightless. I opened my eyes to another pair staring back at me only a few inches away. I flinched, startled from the odd awakening until I realized that I didn't go to bed alone. She was propped up on her elbow, observing me for who knows how long. The moonlight from my window made it easier to see her concerned expression.

    "Aria?" Squinting, I removed my hand that was resting under the back of my head and scooted up a bit. "The fuck are you doing?" I said with grog. "Is everything okay?" Asking, low. I moved some of her hair away from my arm, instinctively.

    She nodded, suddenly shy.

    "How long have you been awake?" I asked, alarmed. You fucking weirdo. I was extremely close to pulling the knife on the side of my bed out before I remembered.

I wanted to make sure she was comfortable with me. It was odd to care for another human being. It was making me nervous, something I forced myself not to feel anymore.

    "A little while."

Hm.

    It took me a moment to realize that it indeed was still dark outside. Considering we went to bed at around three in the morning, she must have only slept an hour or two. I was damn tired.

    "Do you need anything?" I rasped out, but she shook her head. "I'll go to the store if I don't have what you need here." The nearest store that would be open twenty-four hours was about a thirty minute drive.

    She shook her head again and smiled timid.

I leaned up to her and kissed her lips, soft. Hi.

"I have a question," She admitted.

    I flopped back down on the bed and chuckled. "There it is. I knew that was coming."

Aria bit her lip inquisitively. She was nervous. There was nothing she could ask that wouldn't give to her at this point. The girl was making me soft, fuck sakes.  I wanted her to be completely open with me and not afraid to hide herself away, which is something I was so good at doing.

I rubbed small circles on her back while my free hand was behind my head, waiting patiently for her to speak.

"Y'know you could have asked me when the sun was up," I commented.

I liked having someone to talk in the middle of the night with.

"Where um, where did all your scars come from?"

I paused my hands on her back and stared at her, stiffened.

Oh.

I glanced down at my chest for a moment, eyes trailing all the scars that rested on my skin. I almost forgot they were there. I thought in this moment, I'd want to cover my skin up and hide them from her wondering eyes, but I felt almost the opposite. I was comfortable.

I blew out a gust of air. Was I ready to tell her? Was she ready to know my deep, dark secrets?

"Uh..." I started. Nope. I wasn't ready. Fuck that shit.

She rested her delicate hand on my chest and slowly moved her thumb up and down. "It's okay," She bit her lip.

"Hm," I smiled, uncomfortable. "Let's go back to sleep," I suggested and pulled her to me.

She gave a soft noise of reluctance and pressed her nose on my cheek before moving away. "If that's what you want," she hinted.

Suddenly the memory of her telling me I needed to be open with her appeared.