Chapter Fourteen - Ramification

Chapter Fourteen -- Ramification

The way he described her was like no other. His smile widened at the sound of her name and he got giddy when he talked about their newest adventures together. It was a pure type of love that they shared; it was hopeful. There was nothing stronger or more powerful than the team they've created together. She's the yin, he's the yang, and they swirled around each other to become one. They were a perfect masterpiece.

Maybe it was because they've known each other since they were in diapers. Their fathers were best friends which only forced them to become closer. Maybe it was the pull when he came to the realization that she was off limits. Everyone loved forbidden romance.

Tyler and Lacey, inseparable and brave.

"So, how have you been, buddy? I feel like we haven't gone out one on one in a while." Tyler happily took another sip of his beer.

I chewed slowly on the last bite of my chicken wing before answering. "We're together everyday though." My chest felt heavy, unsure why.

"Yeah but that doesn't count. You've been cooped up in your room lately, and Lace is always around so we never get a chance to talk about the really important stuff," Tyler retaliated.

I raised an eyebrow and shrugged. "Important stuff, hm... How are you guys doing anyway?"

"Nice try, Eli, but you know that doesn't work with me," Tyler gives me a cocky smile. Fuck. "How was the rest of your weekend?" Tyler's face was investigating, as per usual. Perhaps he should have studied forensics instead of business.

I looked around the quiet bar for a moment before focusing back on our conversation. How would he react if I said I hung out with Lacey's friend all weekend to distract me from reckless decisions? Especially when he was convinced I hated her.

How would he feel if I expressed my interest in adding her to my list of one night stands?

"Hm, it was pretty quiet, How was yours?" I said. I played with the frosted glass of beer in front of me.

"You ignored all my texts," Tyler squinted his golden eyes. "You must've been up to something."

I eyed his face. Creased forehead and risen eyebrows. He thought I slipped up, but wasn't certain nor did he want to accuse me of breaking sobriety so soon.

"I wanted to give you time with your family. I laid low for the most part anyways." I said, dismissive.

"You're family too, E." Tyler scolded. "But anyways," He glared at me. I felt victorious for our dropped conversation. "Zoey finally let loose with me a bit, I think I can thank you for that."

"That's great, Ty. I'm not sure what I have to do with it though," I sipped anxiously on my beer, which he mimicked before rolling his eyes.

"She listens to you more than me or our parents apparently. She's been giving Margaret a hard time. But after whatever you said to her alone, she came out of her shell," Tyler gave a smile, satisfied of building his relationship with his sister again.

I wasn't sure that Zoey would actually take my advice and talk to her older brother instead of me. I'd prefer it - I'd be a terrible role model.

"So, I wanted to talk to you about something," Tyler moved his beer to the side of the table and clasped his hands over top.

I raised an eyebrow suspiciously. "Is this a business meeting?" I laughed, hiding my discomfort. "I'm not joining the ferm," I joked to hide my nerves. I knew I did something wrong when he asked me out in a public place.