Chapter 38- Unfulfilled Promises

Wanted- The Dark Kingdom

Chapter 38- Unfulfilled Promises

A wind from the North blows,

bringing with it those who lie below.

With them, spreads the infection,

to what may be the darkest connection.

A crown forged from the tears of good and bad,

will choose the king whose army stands.

The light leads and the dark follows,

to the first jewel of the girl who borrowed

Then, the dark leads and the light follows,

to the second jewel of a man's true horror

A king shall be crowned where the first king stepped,

putting an end to their world's unrest.

~

1 week later...

Percy found himself in a decent-sized round room. And despite the various assortment of weapons littered around the office and the maps left open on the meeting table detailing battle strategies, the room was warm and cozy. Mostly thanks to the fireplace in the room.

He was in his office. Not his office back in Olympus, but his old office back on the Island of Blood. Compared to the one in Olympus, this one was small and cramped but he liked it nevertheless. Some part of him would never admit it, but he had loved living and ruling on the Island. Olympus was great, but the Island presented a sense of freedom he had never felt before.

But he wasn't alone. Near the desk, pinned to the wall, was Annabeth. Pinning her to the wall was his past-self. Memories flooded his mind and he knew he was dreaming. Percy rarely ever dreamt of the past yet alone his own past memories. But he knew that the scene playing out before him was important to remember.

Annabeth was struggling against his past-self's tight grip around her right wrist. She was in pain, as she was wincing and trying to pull herself away, but was failing. There was already blood pooling from her wounded wrist that his past-self wouldn't let go off. Percy wanted nothing more than to interrupt the problem, but he knew he physically couldn't. He couldn't even move from the position he stood in. He was confined into the space, ordered to do nothing but watch.

"The Olympians betrayed me and amongst my friends is a traitor. What makes you think I'll fight alongside the Olympians in the war? I'll fight by your side if you accept me as one of your soldiers." Annabeth managed to say through the pain.

In that moment, Percy knew what was coming. The doom he had brought upon himself and Annabeth.

He tried to move but his body wouldn't respond. He tried to move his legs but he remained still, finding himself in a mental battle with himself. He tried to speak or to even shout but he was reduced to silence. But he was screaming inside, clawing at himself to do anything.

His past-self was silenced too, considering Annabeth's suggestion to fight for his side. Percy hated himself at that moment. He hated his past-self. He hated himself now. If he could go back in time and stop himself from doing what he knew comes next, he would. He would do it in a heartbeat. He would give up anything and everything to save Annabeth.