Chapter 42- The Hunt Begins

Wanted- The Dark Kingdom

Chapter 42 – The Hunt Begins

A wind from the North blows,

bringing with it those who lie below.

With them, spreads the infection,

to what may be the darkest connection.

A crown forged from the tears of good and bad,

will choose the king whose army stands.

The light leads and the dark follows,

to the first jewel of the girl who borrowed

Then, the dark leads and the light follows,

to the second jewel of a man's true horror

A king shall be crowned where the first king stepped,

putting an end to their world's unrest.

~

When he had woken up in the early morning, the booming and powerful thunder from the night before had gone. However, the vigorous rain had remained and fog had taken over the island, casting a depressing grey sheet on the entire landscape.

Nico had tossed and turned for about an hour in bed before he had finally given up and gotten up, making his way to the bathroom. Once he had gotten ready, a knock came from the other side of the door. He had opened it to find a servant holding a large tray of food.

Nico had thanked her and accepted the tray, closing the door as she left. He had then placed the tray on the round wooden table that was by the double glass doors that led to the balcony.

Ha had sat down and attempted to eat but couldn't stomach himself doing it. He was thankful for the warmth and comfort of the room, but he couldn't stand it. He couldn't stand the castle. He couldn't stand the guard that was still standing in front of his door either. This was Percy's home. He was a soldier in Percy's army now. His enemy. His number one enemy. What had Nico become?

Even the food in front of him was Percy's. Everything. Everything about this place was his. And that, irritated Nico beyond measure.

But it was all for Hazel, he reminded himself. She was worth it. He would do all he could to make sure Percy won. Being enslaved to Erebus wasn't a possibility he wanted to endure. Even if Percy didn't honor his deal, betrayed him and enslaved him and all his friends, he would rather that outcome than anything to do with Erebus.

Nico would help Percy. Even if doing so felt like he would be moving against every cell in his body. It was torture. Obeying Percy and being his soldier was torture.

Sometimes, Nico wished he was dead.

Another knock on the door sounded, kicking him out of his train of thoughts. Reyna's voice came from beyond the door. "Nico, it's me, Reyna."

Nico got up and opened the door. The former Roman praetor greeted him with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. Half her hair was pulled back from her face and she wore nothing but a simple pair of jeans, black shirt and black boots. Black really was the only thing available to wear around here. Okay, maybe that's one thing I don't mind, Nico told himself.