Chapter 27

"They say lavender softens anxiety,
and I wonder if I can plant a garden
so dense in your mind
that the knots in your chest unravel
and never tighten again."

A week.

One week had passed since Kira had last spoken to Regulus.

She had been avoiding him as much as she could. In the classes she shared with him, she either sat by Ava or by another Ravenclaw. A few people threw suspicious glances and even shared a view hushed whispers with each other.

Naturally, the whole school knew something had happened between Regulus and Kira.

Many noticed the two become quite close in Sixth year, especially when Evan and Regulus began spending their days with Kira and Ava.

They had also noticed a change in Kira's demeanor. She seemed happier and more open but now she had returned to her previous state. Cold and quiet.

Kira turned a corner on her way back to her common room and regretted the decision once she saw who nearly bumped into her.

"Hi, Regulus." Kira didn't really know why she decided to greet him but the look in his eyes wouldn't allow her to avoid him any longer.

"Hi, Kira," he whispered back. He opened his mouth before closing it again. He took a deep breath and spoke, "Can we talk?"

Kira knew this had to happen, she expected it to. She nodded and Regulus led her to an empty bench in the courtyard, far away from prying ears.

The two remained silent, both not knowing what to say.

Regulus spoke, startling Kira. She was used to the silence. "I'm sorry I kept this from you."

Kira nodded. "Why?"

"Why what?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

Kira inhaled, "Why did you keep it from me?"

Neither of them were looking at the other, both had their eyes trained on the Black Lake in front of them.

"I was scared." Regulus himself was shocked at the revelation, that didn't make it any less true though. He was scared, terrified even, that he would lose her. "I knew you would be upset. I didn't want to lose you."

Kira nodded once more. "Do you like being, you know?"

Regulus was shocked at the question, did she really think he enjoyed it? "No. Never. I hate it."

Kira looked at him, "Then why become one?"

Regulus returned her gaze, "My parents made me." His voice cracked, "I had to. Ever since Sirius left, it's been hell."

Kira understood. Losing a brother was horrible, even worse when they chose to do it.

"Did you even care about me? Or was it all a lie?"

"I, I really like you, Kira. None of it was a lie. You make me so happy and you're so amazing and I don't deserve to have you in my life."

"I really like you too, Reg," Kira smiled at him. She reached for his hand and entwined their fingers. She leant her head on his shoulder.

Regulus wasn't a bad person, he's just a person that bad things have happened to. Kira understood that now. People who say you always have a choice are wrong. There are times you don't have a choice, when you have to do something no matter how much you don't want to.

After they had finished outside, Kira and Regulus went to Regulus' dorm to sit and talk and just be together.

Evan was with some other friends and Ava was with a girl so they didn't have to worry about them wondering where they were.

Regulus laid on his bed and Kira laid next to him with her arm wrapped over his abdomen and her head on his chest.

Regulus sighed, "It's getting late, you should head back to your own dorm." He rubbed circles on her shoulder with his index finger. When Kira remained silent he spoke again, "Unless you don't want to?"

Kira turned so that she could face him. "I wouldn't mind staying," She smiled and pecked him on the lips.

She grinned when Regulus pulled her back for a proper kiss. He had hand in her hair and another on her waist. She was on top of him but moved so that she was more comfortable, she was now straddling him.

Regulus turned them over so he was on top and smiled as he kissed her. He moved away from her lips and placed kisses all over her neck and jaw while she ran her hands over his arms.

He stopped for a moment and looked at her.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" He asked before he could stop himself. Not that he wanted to.

Kira grinned, happiness lighting up her eyes. "I'd love to," she whispered, bringing her head up to kiss him once more.

"That school uniform looks really uncomfortable," Regulus said. They both kept their voices low, as if talking any louder would be screaming.

"It is."

Regulus moved his head forward so that their cheeks were touching. He whispered close to her ear, "The why don't you take it off?"

Kira gasped and hit him on his arm as he buried his head into the crook of her neck, muffling his laughs.

He brought his head back up, smiled still on their faces, "Take it off and change," he laughed.

"My clothes are in my dorm."

"I've got a shirt you can wear," he said before hopping off his bed and getting a shirt out of his trunk.

He handed it to her and she took it.

She started unbuttoning her shirt when she noticed Regulus staring at her with a cheeky grin on his face.

She laughed, "Turn around."

Regulus returned her laugh and turned around to face the other way, also changing into something more comfortable.

Evan and Regulus were lucky enough to get their own dorm that year, meaning they could wear short sleeve shirts during the hotter nights. They preferred to stick to long sleeves to hide their dark marks. Regulus was hesitant to turn around once he finished changing, he didn't know how Kira would react if she could see his Dark Mark.

Kira sensed his hesitancy and walked up to him. She wrapped her arms around his torso and rested her cheek against his back.

She turned him around and moved her hands to his arms. She took his left arm and ran her fingers over the Dark Mark. She couldn't help the slight shaking of her hands, the mark brought back so many bad memories after all.

Regulus wasn't bad though.

She looked up at him and cupped his face. She stood on the tips of her toes and pulled his head down to kiss him, before wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer.

"It doesn't define you."

Regulus didn't stop himself from letting a few tears drop.

He didn't deserve her.

She was too good for him.

____________________________
Sorryyy the update took so long.

I broke my phone on Saturday and I've finally gotten everything onto my mom's old phone.

I'm also on holiday until Sunday so i don't know when I'll be able to update next. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, enjoy!

– walkingmasterpiece xx