Chapter 6

"Other people aren't medicine"

The 1st of October marked the beginning of Kira's second month of being back at Hogwarts, but more importantly it meant that it had been a month since she had last heard from her parents.

Kira has lost her patience with her parents. She sent out a letter earlier that morning to her sister in hopes that she would check on them and discover why they were not writing to Kira and Thomas.

The cold wind that October brought nothing to soothe Kira's bad mood. Her parents could have sent a three word letter, anything really to calm her brother's nerves. They should care and know that he would be worried and stressed out.

The thought that they did not care angered Kira. They may not have shown her any care, especially her father, but they could at least do something for her younger brothers. They were still young and did not understand the cruelty of the world just yet.

She can't imagine how Thomas must feel. He's probably scared. The Rose household was used to routine, and without it, the household crumbled.

Despite the cold weather, Kira wandered outside to calm her foul mood by the Black Lake. She wore her Ravenclaw scarf proudly around her neck as it whipped in the wind. Kira loves the cold weather but with the annoyance she felt, the prickling cold only added to it.

The Black Lake glistened under the sun. Despite the brightness of the Sun it was not warm. It was cold and bare. Much like the Rose family. They smiled brightly for the reporters or other Pureblood families and even the ministry, but behind their fake smiles were eyes of dull coldness.

Regulus Black watched from afar as Kira admired the dark waters. He debated going over to talk to her.

He wanted a distraction. Needed a distraction. Studying, reading, and even quidditch were doing little to ease his mind about the Death Eaters and the war.

He felt like he was drowning in his own mind, stuck amongst his thoughts, suffocating.

He hated being a part of it. He was stuck in the middle with no way out. His mind was like a labyrinth of endless passageways and paths, one he couldn't find the exit to.

The bags under his eyes and his messier than usual hair proved that he had been getting little sleep due to his racing thoughts. He was terrified for when he would be given his first mission by the Dark Lord and hoped it to be small.

He did not think he would be able to handle a difficult task.

He made his decision to talk to Kira now. She would provide an adequate distraction for now. She was also pleasant company. When he spoke to her he was able to focus on speaking to just her. He did not think about his problems and he did not feel as if he had the world on his shoulders.

Kira has grown to identify people by the sound of their footsteps. By the gracefulness and confidence in the footsteps approaching she could only guess that it was Regulus Black.

"Rose." He greeted as he came to a stop next to her.

Kira glanced to her side to acknowledge him. "Black. What brings you down here on a lovely day like this?" She asked sarcastically. She found herself getting bored from the constant headache that was Regulus Black. The amount of stress she had continued to pile up when Regulus was added to the equation. She wanted to know why Regulus found such an interest in her.