Chapter 5

"she's always preferred sunrises
over sunsets...
she likes beginnings."
– butterflies rising

"Kira." Ava called across the empty hall, filled by none other than herself and Kira.

Kira turned around to face Ava. She smiled once she saw who had called her. "Morning Ava! Quite a lovely morning, don't you think?" Kira whispered cheerily.

Ava rolled her eyes and chuckled. "Of course. If you count being up at 4:00am on a Saturday morning, lovely."

Kira grinned, "Glad you agree! Now hurry yourself, we'll miss the sunrise." She whipped around and set off towards the castle grounds. Ava begrudgingly followed closely behind. She knew not to question Kira as she would not be getting any reasonable answers from her.

Kira and Ava stood side by side watching as the sun rose from behind the mountains situated behind Hogwarts. The sun rose from the mountain side and disappeared behind the trees of the Forbidden Forest every day.

Not once has Kira missed it.

The birds started their daily morning song, while the animals and creatures surrounding the school awoke from their slumber. The slight wind rustled the leaves of the trees and nothing else was heard but the steady breathing of the two girls and nature's beauty.

Kira stood with a smile on her face, content as she watched the sunset. Ava smiled softly to herself at the sight of her best friend so happy.

Kira rarely smiled in public. She only ever allowed small smiles as greetings to passing learners and professors. The infamous pureblood smile. Polite and welcoming, yet cold and powerful. It was taught to every respected pureblood from a young age.

Ava knew that Kira was a very private person. Kira knew she was selfish. She didn't let anyone in besides Ava, and of course Irene. Her brothers were still too young to talk to about most things.

Ava believed that Kira, as selfish as she may seem, was actually a very caring person. She proved this in the way she helped and supported Ava through everything and the way she cared for her brothers, especially Thomas when he started his first year.

Very rarely did Kira ever smile a true smile, and seeing her so happy made Ava even happier. Yes Kira did smile when it was just them, she laughed and joked and had fun, but now, it was something so small that made her happy, something so little. Something she would not dare show in public.

The bustling sound of students wandering the corridors before heading to breakfast could be heard from all over the castle. Ava had long gone back to the dorms after the sun had risen.

Kira, however, chose to explore the castle once again. She discovered a secret passageway leading to Honeydukes in Hogsmeade, one she had somehow missed. She did not think she would ever have found another passageway but the castle kept proving her wrong.

Kira chose a shortcut as her route to the Great Hall. This allowed her an extra 10 minutes of breakfast.

Ava sat in her usual spot at the Ravenclaw table waiting for her best friend to arrive. Shortly after, Kira walked through the doors and strolled down the walkways between the tables. She glanced at those around her and she took in her surroundings. Her gaze finally laid upon Ava. She sat down across from her and dished up her breakfast.