Chapter 10

"We're stronger in the places
that we've been broken."
– Ernest Hemingway

Kira enjoyed the rest of her weekend reading books in the common room or wandering the halls at midnight.

She was not very happy to be resuming school work today. Although she did enjoy learning she found some of the teachers to be unbearable and sometimes even argued that the material they were teaching was useless.

This often landed her with a few detentions when she got into heated arguments, specifically with her Astronomy and DADA professors.

Some years in DADA, they had very incompetent teachers. Last year, her teacher could barely perform spells correctly, and went back to basic spells they had either learned in their first year or didn't learn at all because of the uselessness.

Sometimes even her Astronomy teacher went off topic, rambling about topics usually taught in Divination. She called Professor Watkins out on this and often ended up with a detention.

Her parents were never happy with the detentions but left her to it because she still managed O's in nearly every class, even making prefect in fifth year.

She entered her DADA class and found all the chairs and tables had been moved to the back. She looked to Ava and raised an eyebrow. The latter shrugged and they moved to stand where a group of students had gathered.

Soon enough their teacher arrived, a short woman who thought she was better than everyone despite the fact that many of the students could beat her in a duel.

"Okay students. Today we'll be doing non-verbal spells. In a few weeks we'll be touching on wandless magic, though because of the difficulty of such a topic you will not be tested on it. So for now we'll stick to non-verbal magic."

Some of the students began whispering excitedly to one another.

The professor began speaking again. "Pair up with someone from the opposite house." We were with Slytherins. "And then try to disarm your opponent."

Ava sighed. "Well I'll see you later, may as well pair with Avery." She muttered and moved to find him.

Kira looked around for someone she could pair with and her eyes met with Regulus. She smiled and he returned the smile and made his way over.

"Need a partner?" He asked. She nodded and they got ready.

The class has split so one half stood on one side of the classroom while their partners faced them.

They began, Kira was to disarm Regulus and he was meant to try and defend himself. She expected it to be quite tricky seeing as Regulus was only just behind her in class.

She silently cast 'expelliarmus' but he quickly cast a shield charm.

She decided to distract him by casting aguamenti and shot a stream of water towards him. The spell hit him and he was soaked, while distracted she quickly cast the disarming charm again and managed to successfully remove his wand from his hand.

He stood there baffled while she smirked at him. She nearly laughed at him. She decided to do him a favour and dry him with a spell. Remaining silent throughout the whole ordeal.