Chapter 19

"I said I'm fucking fine!"

Kira picked up her pace as she walked to Dumbeldore's office.

She was notified by a second year Hufflepuff that Dumbledore wanted to see her in his office. She had no clue as to why he wanted to see her though.

She hoped she wasn't in trouble, or worse, her family was in trouble.

She knocked on Dumbledore's door and entered. "Good day, Professor," she said. "You asked to see me?"

"Ah yes, come in, Kira. I have a few questions for you," he smiled at her. His eyes twinkling over his half-moon spectacles.

"Of course," Kira nodded and sat down on one of the empty chairs.

"Some books have gone missing from the Restricted Section," Dumbledore began. Kira's heart pounded in her chest as she tried to keep calm. "Do you know anything about that, Kira? You won't be in trouble, I only want to know who has taken them."

She had to confess to taking them. She wouldn't rad out Regulus like that.

"I took them, Professor," she admitted, her head hanging low.

Dumbledore nodded, "Very well. I assume you know much about wandless magic then?"

Kira hesitated, "I know a bit." She decided to be truthful. Maybe Dumbledore would help her. He was, after all, the greatest wizard she knew.

"You should show me your magic some time," he suggested.

"Of course," Kira said, though she wasn't too keen on performing more spells for people.

"You may go for now," He dismissed.

Kira gave Regulus a look while he laughed at her reaction. He was determined to bother her all day and to say she was annoyed would be an understatement.

She was not used to the constant attention. Her and Ava had worked out a way to spend time with each other in public that worked for both of them. With Regulus, he wanted to make her laugh even if it meant annoying her all day.

"Can't you annoy someone else?" She asked with an exasperated sigh.

He shrugged, "Evan is busy. I don't really talk to the others unless I have to."

"Make some new friends?" She suggested.

"I did, you," he grinned. Once seeing her blank look he sighed, "it's not like anyone else wants to be friends with me."

Kira could relate to not having many friends. Many saw her cold look and thought it best they leave her alone. She was content with one friend. She never needed anyone else other than Ava so she didn't bother trying to make new friends.

Though she didn't mind studying with the Hufflepuffs. They were often too sweet for her to say no to.

"I can't see why," she started, "I quite like being your friend." She smirked at the grin he wore.

"Well," he began, running a hand through his hair, "in Slytherin, they only want to be my friend because of my name, and every other house thinks I'm evil."

Kira felt her heart break a little at his dejected look. "I don't think you're evil," she said softly, putting a hand on his shoulder.

He gave her a smile and the two continued on their walk.

Kira saw the Marauders at the end of the hallway as they walked closer. Regulus has seen them too but they had not seen her and Regulus.

Sirius was a little ways away from the group but he was walking closer. Kira watched as he ran up to James and put an arm over his shoulder. He shoved a letter in James' hands and said, "look, mum and dad sent a letter!"

Kira saw James' face light up at the sound of Sirius calling his parents his own. Kira would have been happy for Sirius, he found a family after all, but the look on Regulus' face was enough to make her feel the heartbreak she imagined him feeling.

Regulus continued walking towards the end of the hallway at a quick pace.

Kira remained still as she watched him leave.

"What's wrong with him?" Sirius asked, noticing them.

Remus face-palmed in the back and sighed. Sirius gave him a confused look.

Kira shook her head and walked away. She needed to find Regulus.

Once she rounded the corner she picked up her pace. "Where would he go?" She muttered to herself, "Where would he go?"

The Astronomy Tower.

She made a left turn and ran through the empty hallways towards the Astronomy tower.

She reached the steps and climbed up, and opened the door.

Regulus stood there with his back to her. He leaned against the railings with his elbows. He didn't turn to face her when she entered but she took slow steps towards him.

She put a hand on his shoulder when she reached his side and he flinched before relaxing under her touch.

"I'm fine," he said in a harsh voice.

"I'm not leaving," Kira stated.

Regulus sniffed and brought a sleeve up to wipe his eyes.

"He left me," Regulus said, his voice cracking. "He left and replaced me with James Potter."

He lowered his voice to a whisper that got louder as he spoke, "He escaped and left me there to rot while he was happy with his new family." He spat.

Kira didn't know what to say so she leant her head against his shoulder and let him rant.

She felt his body shake and pulled him into a hug. He gripped her cloak as he hugged her and hurried his head in the crook of her neck.

"He left me. He's truly gone," his voice broke.

Kira hugged him tighter. She knew what it was like to be parted with a sibling but neither Charlie nor James had a choice.

Sirius was still there. He could still reconnect with his brother and help him but he chose to leave Regulus alone.

She knew Sirius could be daft at times but she didn't think he could be so oblivious to what his own brother was going through.

He only thought Regulus was evil, like the rest of the school.

She didn't believe that though. She believed he was good.

_________________________________________

Sorry for the late update!

I'll try to update more often! <3

– walkingmasterpiece xx