Chapter 46

"They were young,
they didn't know what life had planned for them."

Hours passed before Regulus came home.

"Regulus?"

He looked at her, his face filled with determination. "Kira, I'm going."

What she said next shocked him, "I know. I understand why you have to go." Her voice was quiet. "We can go into hiding, or something, and I'll help you destroy it."

Regulus moved towards her and cupped her face. She reached up and grabbed his hands, holding them while on her cheeks. "Thank you."

"When do you planning on going?" She smiled up at him, though she was certain he could tell it half of it was forced. She didn't want him to go, but she understood why he needed to.

"Now."

Her face dropped, "Oh."

He bit his lip and pulled her closer. With his lips barely brushing hers, he said, "I have to, before he moves it." He pulled out the fake necklace he had Kreacher get for him. "I have a fake, so hopefully he won't notice I took the real thing."

"Can I come with you? I could help you?"

He didn't want her to see what he thought he'd go through. He shook his head. He needed her here to motivate him. "I need you here, to help destroy the Horcrux. I'm not letting you die for me."

"And what about you? What if you die?"

"I know that if you're here, I'll fight with everything in me to get back to you alive."

She nodded her head and pressed her lips into his, savouring the moment. When she pulled back and rested her forehead against his, she asked, "You'll come back to me, right?"

He didn't know. He would fight with all his might to come back to her but he knew that it was Voldemort, which meant this Horcrux was well protected.

Kreacher already told him what he knew. It was in a fountain fill with an emerald coloured Potion that would only empty if someone drank it. He suspected it was poisoned. Also that there was difficult entry, with apparation protection. He was thankful for Kreacher, who could apparate them straight to the Horcrux and out again.

He looked into Kira's green eyes, at her face, taking every piece of it into his mind. She would guide him through this. "I'll come back to you," he said, knowing he had no plans of returning. If he lived, it would be a miracle. He knew that in the world they lived, it offered no miracles. He would fight when it came down to it, but his expectations were low.

She pulled him down for another kiss. "I love you, my star," she whispered.

"I love you, my little rose."

With that, Kreacher arrived and they apparated to the rocks outside of the cave.

Their mission has begun.

The waves crashed against the rocks and when they landed, Regulus nearly slipped off.

It was cold and dreary, and he thought it rather fitting for what was coming. He was scared, not of what they would face, but for what happened afterward. He supposed he couldn't let that stop him, and he beckoned Kreacher once more.