Chapter 52

"You were unsure
which pain is worse —
the shock of what happened
or the ache for what
never will."

Kira's owl flew into her kitchen right after she had made her morning coffee. She was wearing a suit, ready for work, and idly sipping on her coffee when the owl landed in front of her.

She picked up the letters and thumbed through them, one from Aurelia, one from Remus, and one from her sister. She could read those during her break at work.

Her grip on them loosened and they hit the countertop with a dull thump. Her eyes scanned over the heading of the front page news article of the Daily Prophet.

She fumbled as she turned it towards her. No. No. No.

"You-Know-Who Defeated"

That was not what stopped her in her tracks. It was the subheading beneath it.

"James and Lily Potter found dead in their home."

She read through the article twice. James and Lily murdered by Voldemort. Poor baby Harry who somehow survived the killing curse and destroyed Voldemort, left orphaned.

It didn't stop there.

Sirius Black was accused of killing 13 muggles as well as his friend Peter Pettigrew.

She did not believe that for a second. How could he have done that? He would not. Would he?

She stepped back from the counter, her back hitting the cupboard behind her. Her breaths came in quick heavy bursts. Her hands fumbled behind her as she tried to stop her fall but she slid down the cupboard door and hit the floor. The pain was there and gone again, her focus on the news she had just learned.

She crawled to the counter and her hands found the letters. Once she had them, she flopped back down against the cupboard. She did not bother to wipe the tears from her eyes as she read the letters.

They all said the same thing, told her how they were coping, and how she was doing. Remus wanted to meet up with her when she was available. She would have to write back soon. Two of his best friends dead, and one in jail for murdering the other one. It must have hit him hard.

Aurelia's note was short. A simple, "I'm coming over tomorrow." in a messy scrawl. She was certain the page was tear-strained. She quickly wrote the Rose Manor address on the back of the letter and sent it back to Aurelia with her owl. She did not know Kira was no longer staying at the house she bought with Regulus.

After the initial shock, her grief turned to anger. Anger at her father. He promised her he would not hurt her family, and now her cousin was dead.

She screamed, banging her fists on the floor. She let out a sob, bringing her hands up to her faces, letting herself feel everything. Every emotion she was feeling. Every emotion that was flowing through her body, the pain, the anger, the grief. All of it.

The world kept on taking, and Kira wondered if, at the end of it all, she would have anything left.

Kira heard the knock on her door early in the morning from all the way in her bedroom upstairs. She had gotten no sleep as she tossed and turned her way through the night.

She stumbled out of her bed and down the stairs, pulling her dress gown tighter around her body. Her wand was gripped tight in her hand.

She looked through the peephole and saw Aurelia standing in front of her door. She pulled it open and tackled her in a hug.

She felt Aurelia melt against her body as they hugged.

"Kira, he didn't do it. It was Pettigrew. He, he didn't do it."

Kira pulled back, taking in Aurelia's disheveled appearance. The look on her face was enough. "I believe you."

She grabbed her hand and led her inside.

After making some tea, the two sat on the couch in the lounge, each with a blanket wrapped around their shoulders.

Aurelia rested her head on Kira's shoulder. She had just finished telling the story of how Sirius had found the Potter's dead and realised it was Peter who gave up their location. Aurelia was with him, and he left her to wait with Harry for Hagrid to come and get him, while Sirius went off to find Peter.

"I could have stopped him. I could have told him to wait a little longer, to let the Auror's find Pettigrew."

Kira sniffed, "And the Ministry? They won't give him a trial?"

She shook her head, "No. He's already in Azkaban. They're not letting him out."

Kira nodded. It was not fair for Sirius. He deserved a trial. Instead, he was thrown straight into Azkaban without a second glance.

"I'm going to France in a month," Aurelia began, "I could get you a transfer at the Ministry, if you want to come with me. We can get away from all this destruction."

Kira thought about it. Could she really just leave the Britain? Her home. The house she bought with Regulus? Her sister and brothers? Her friends?

It was tempting, the urge to run.

"How long until you need an answer?"

"I'll owl you the date I leave. Anytime before then is good."

Kira nodded. Maybe she could begin anew. Start a new life in a new country.

________________________________________

Heyy I updated. How about that

Hope you enjoyed! What do you think about Aurelia's offer? Should Kira accept?

– walkingmasterpiece xx