Chapter 4

"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."
– Oscar Wilde

Kira's parents have yet to write her back, well her mother. Her father could not be bothered with keeping in touch with them, especially Kira.

It's only been two days though. They're probably busy and can't write yet. Maybe the owl got lost. Kira's Mother and Father do work a lot so it could be that. Her Father works in the Ministry in the Department of magical accidents and catastrophes, obliviator headquarters. He ensures the safety of wizards and witches by obliviating muggles who see magic.

Her Mother works for the Ministry but at home. She needs to look after Charles. She works in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement in the wizengamot administration services. She's constantly doing paperwork.

It makes sense. They're both very busy people.

Kira sighed before continuing on her way to the last class of the day, Potions. She nearly groaned at the thought.

Slughorn decided to keep them in pairs because of how well everyone worked together. Now, she didn't mind working with Regulus, not at all, but she would've liked to sit with Ava in one of the few classes they shared together. Ava unfortunately sat across the room from her.

The worst part about being paired with Regulus was the fact that his friends sat around him. None of them refused to move, making their partners move places instead. Kira found his friends to be very insufferable. They annoyed her to no end.

They thought they were better than everyone else, they are cruel too. Especially Mulciber and Avery. Rosier and Black usually kept to themselves.

Regulus watched as Kira made notes. She chewed on the end of her quill when she looked confused, occasionally furrowing her brows as well. He watched as she shook her head when she realised something she didn't before and how her hair kept falling into her eyes. He watched as she huffed and pushed it away, only for it to fall back into her face.

Regulus turned around when something hit his back. He rolled his eyes at Evan Rosier, his best friend.

"What?" Regulus whispered harshly. Evan laughed before responding.

"Mate you better stop staring at Rose there. It's been ten bloody minutes." He snickered. Regulus scoffed before turning back around and starting his notes.

What is wrong with him? He just sat and stared at a girl for 10 minutes. Maybe less, Evan does like to exaggerate, he thought to himself. It's been two weeks since school started and Kira has already distracted him.

He needed to stop and focus. Yet he couldn't stop thinking about the Rose girl. She just had this mysterious aura surrounding her and he wanted to know what made her so mysterious.

Kira walked down the corridor as she made her way to Dinner. She knew Ava would probably be in the Great Hall already. Ava loved food. She could eat absolutely anything and everything.

Her parents never allowed her to eat so much at home, so when she was at Hogwarts she ate as much as she could. It was a miracle she was as skinny as she was. Ava has a body most girls were jealous of and one boys would chase after.

Kira even felt jealous sometimes. Her curves were not as prominent and she felt she wasn't as pretty as Ava was. She couldn't hate Ava though, she loved her with all her heart.

"What's with Black staring at you?" Ava commented a few minutes after Kira sat down across from her in the Great Hall.

"What do you mean?" Kira asked with a dazed look. Black can't have been staring at her. He's never bothered to notice her before so why now?

"He's been staring at you since you got here, in Potions too." Ava said with a shrug.

Kira turned around and there she found Regulus Black staring at her. He quickly looked away with a blush rising on his cheeks as he saw Kira look at him. Kira turned back round and shrugged her shoulders.

"No idea." She mumbled, about to put a forkful of rice into her mouth. She started to regret ever letting Regulus sit with her in the Astronomy tower two nights ago. She should have just let him leave.

What if he knew he knew something about her? She started to panic but tried to calm herself down. He's a smart boy, he could surely figure it out. No. He doesn't have enough to put it together. She silently scolded herself for being so dramatic. She knew better than to jump to conclusions and impossible theories.

Kira would just have to stay away from him, simple as that. That way he would never know. He'd never know anything about her. No one would.

Little did Kira know that Regulus wasn't going to give up so easily.

Regulus sat in his dorm room the same night. The Dark Mark on his left arm still burned.

He's parents forced him to get the Dark Mark this last Summer. The memories and pain were still fresh in his mind.

It was mid July and his mother called for him to get ready. They then proceeded to apparate to Malfoy Manor.

They never told him what they were doing. Evan was there as well, he was just as confused as Regulus was.

That's when it happened. He walked in.

The Dark Lord himself.

Regulus had once been obsessed with him. With how powerful he is. His ambition and determination to get what he wanted, he even had the bravery to do it.

That all changed when Sirius left the Summer before that. Regulus still admired his dedication, but he soon started to realise murder isn't right. Murdering innocent muggleborns and muggles was not the way to go.

He knew it was wrong but he didn't care about the other murders. He cared about losing Sirius. He lost him when he left but Regulus would be devastated if Sirius was murdered for a cause he supported.

Lord Voldemort walked up to Evan and Regulus. He started with Evan.

The screams were unbearable. Evan nearly passed out and his father had to hold him up as they walked away.

Voldemort turned to him. His breathing stopped and he tensed.

Voldemort took his arm and began the spell. Regulus screamed out in shock from the pain.

He bit his tongue to prevent himself from screaming again. He soon tasted blood in his mouth but the searing pain in his left forearm was far too painful for him to care about a little blood.

His knees felt weak and he was surprised he even remained standing.

Regulus could still feel the pain some nights, tonight being one of those. It burned when Voldemort called for his followers.

Those in school couldn't attend meetings so they sat through the pain.

Evan is a heavy sleeper, so he managed to fall asleep quickly. Regulus sighed before laying back down in bed. A brown-haired girl came to intrude his thoughts.

Kira Rose. He knew she wasn't a Death Eater. He's never seen her at meetings, though he has seen her father there on multiple occasions.

He has seen how he tortured the prisoners with a smile so twisted it could rival Bellatrix's.

How could a girl who seems so aloof and carefree be the daughter of a sadistic murderer?

He has never seen the Rose girl show any signs of being a cold blooded murderer. She was closed off and aloof, not really caring for the world outside of her head.

Maybe he needed a friend like that. Someone to distract him.

Someone who doesn't care. Someone who isn't evil. Someone who isn't an absolute coward.

Someone who isn't him.