Chapter 45

"I can lose everything,
but not you... Oh god,
not you."

Kira woke that morning to the sound of their front door slamming followed by Regulus hissing a few cuss words.

Confused, she stumbled out of bed and put on her gown.

When she got to the kitchen she found her fiancé pacing around the room. "Regulus?" She asked. She was worried for him.

His head shot up and his hair was a mess, which she presumed was from him pulling at it. "What's going on?" Her hands came up to hold his.

He pulled his hands from hers and grabbed her shoulders.

"He has a horcrux."

Kira frowned, "Who? What's a horcrux? Regulus, what's wrong?"

He took a few breaths, trying to calm himself. When he regained his composure he said, "You-Know-Who. He has a horcrux. It's, it's, dark magic. Dark magic that allows him to be immortal. If it's destroyed he'll be mortal again."

Kira stiffened, her heart raced. Voldemort was immortal. And Regulus knew about it. Thoughts and worries filled her mind. What if he tried to kill Regulus for knowing?

"Regulus," she began, her voice shaky and her eyes wide. "How do you know this? Are you in trouble?"

Regulus shook his head, fumbling with his hands. He grabbed her shoulders and then released them, only to grab them once again in a more gentle manner. He was a nervous-wreck.

"He wanted to borrow Kreacher, for a task." He recalled the events that had taken place yesterday.

Voldemort had approached him. Regulus was terrified for what it could mean, but all he wanted was to use Kreacher for the day.

He was always close with the house elf, and he was reluctant to hand him over to the Dark Lord, but he could not refuse. So with a hesitant nod, he apparated to his parents home and found Kreacher cleaning the kitchen.

"Where's Mother and Father?" He asked the house elf.

"Master and Mistress went out for lunch. Master and Mistress left Kreacher to clean."

He nodded, "Okay, Kreacher, Lord Voldemort requests your presence. You are to do as he says."

Kreacher nodded, "Kreacher will obey for Master Regulus. Master Regulus is always kind to Kreacher."

Regulus nodded once more and they apparated back to Voldemort. He was dismissed soon after, and he was worried he would never see Kreacher again.

He was wrong, he saw him the next morning. Kreacher was hurt but it was not serious. That's when Kreacher told him all about the Horcrux and the cave and little fountain the necklace was hidden in. He knew then what he had to do.

After he finished telling Kira about the story, she had gone pale. "Kira—" he began.

"Regulus," she shook her head, tears threatening to fall, "you can't go."

"I have to. I've been a terrible person my whole life and this is my chance to change, to stop Voldemort." He stopped, taking a few heavy breaths. "This is my chance to be good."

"You don't have to!" She shouted, tears now falling. "You don't have to. I know you're a good person, you're not a terrible person. Let Dumbledore, the order, handle it."

"I need to do this."

"Regulus! If you die what about me? I can't lose you."

He cupped her face, wiping away a few tears. "I won't be able to live with myself if I don't go, if I sit back like a coward. He'll find out eventually that I know and he'll come for me anyway."

"No, no," she cried, "You can't. You can't. I can't lose you."

"I must." He removed his hand from her face, "I need to go." It felt like there was something stuck in his throat. He didn't want to leave her now. "There's another mission."

She nodded and stepped out of the way for him to pass and left through the front door. He apparated away.

Kira sat on the floor. She didn't know what to do. She didn't want him to go, she didn't understand why he needed to be a hero. They were supposed to get married. They were supposed to be happy.

He wanted to throw all that away to be hunted by the most powerful man in the Wizarding World.

A knock on the door an hour later alerted her. She got up from the kitchen floor and went to open for Aurelia, who said she was going to stop by to give her some books.

Aurelia's face dropped at the sight of Kira. "Oh no, Kira, what happened?"

Aurelia led Kira to a chair and they sat down while she rubbed Kira's back.

"Regulus wants to do something stupid." Kira said. "Something ridiculous."

"How stupid?" Aurelia asked, her voice gentle.

"Like 'Voldemort will kill him' stupid."

Aurelia let out a gasp of shock, "Oh Kira."

She sniffled, "I suppose even if he doesn't do it, he might be in trouble anyway. He knows something about Voldemort."

"And you don't want him to do it?"

She shook her head, more tears spilling. She held up her hand, "We're supposed to get married."

"Oh, Kira."

"I don't want to him to die," she sobbed into Aurelia's arms.

Aurelia rubbed her arms and back, whispering soothing words of comfort. "He's going to do it," she began, "And I think you should support him. I don't want Sirius to fight in this war because it'll get him killed but all I can do is stand there and fight with him."

"I know why he wants to do it." She didn't get it at first, but she does now. He's the overlooked brother. The bad one. The evil one. He wants to prove himself, but not to anyone else, to himself. He wants to help from the shadows.

She supposed they could go into hiding to stay away from Voldemort. They could destroy the Horcrux together. Maybe one day they could get married and start a family.

The war was always in the back of her mind. She didn't want to think about it and it was foolish of her. It was there, right in front, always happening and they needed to face it. She would not be a coward.

"Thank you, Aurelia," she mumbled.

She would apologise to Regulus and try to help him before he went off to find this Horcrux.

________________________________________

Heyo hope you like ;)

I'm so tired rn and I have to go do school work and I really don't want to lol

– walkingmasterpiece xxx