Chapter 41

Is it bad that while beginning to write this I had to go look what my MC's name is?

________________________________________

The smell of coffee filled Kira with joy that morning. It was a calm Saturday morning and she intended to spend it in her lounge with some hot coffee while going over some work for Monday.

She couldn't be happier with her job, she enjoying it and getting to do some of it at home, however she wanted, made her excited.

The house was more quiet than usual. Regulus was on another Death Eater mission. He was supposed to help terrorise a muggle neighbourhood not far from their own.

She hoped he was okay. She knew he could hold his own, but the little bubble of worry never left her. He'll be okay.

An hour passed with Kira crouched over her work. Her cup of coffee sat on the table in front of her, half empty and cold.

The sound of frantic knocking alerted her. She shoved her papers to the side and grabbed her wand.

She pressed her hand against the door and stood on her tiptoes to look through the peephole in the door. Aurelia stood there, supporting most of Sirius' weight. He was covered in blood.

She gasped and pulled the door open. "Aurelia! What happened?" She said ushering them in.

She led them to the couch and let Sirius lay down. "Rags, anything," Aurelia gasped.

Kira didn't question it. She ran into the kitchen and threw open a cabinet to search for rags to ease his bleeding. Oh, Regulus, I hope you're okay.

She ran out to the living room again, hearing the soft words of comfort Aurelia offered Sirius. She couldn't help but feel happy for them. She could only hope Sirius would be okay.

She chucked a few rags to Aurelia who caught them with ease, despite her shaky hands. They tried to put as much pressure on his wounds. She didn't understand what spell had hit him. He was covered in multiple cuts all over his body.

"What happened?"

"Death eaters. The order tried to, to stop them. I can't find any spells to heal him, they, they aren't working," her words came out ragged. She was on the verge of tears.

"It's okay, Aurelia, it's going to be okay," she tried to soothe her. "Why not go to St.Mungos?"

"I didn't want to apparate so far with him like this," she whispered. She reached out a hand to wipe some hair out of Sirius' face, ignoring the smear of blood that followed.

The door opening made both of them stop.

They looked at each other, and they both knew what it meant. Kira didn't lock the door.

Kira brought a finger to her lips and picked up her wand, holding it at the ready.

When a figure entered room she fired a stunning spell only for them to dodge.

"Kira!" Regulus' voice said.

"Regulus!" She shouted and ran to hug him. "I'm so glad you're okay," she whispered.

She quickly moved away from him to show him his brother. She noticed his face drain of colour when he saw Sirius lying there, covered in blood.

It was almost inaudible, but due to the stillness of the room both Kira and Aurelia heard what he said.

"I did this."

After Regulus performed the counter curse, the three left Sirius to rest. They stood about the kitchen island in silence.

Long after, Aurelia spoke. "You're a Death Eater," she whispered. She hand her head in her hands with her elbows resting on the countertop.

Regulus stood with his hands on the counter. He had his head hung down but she could see how tense his shoulders were. He sighed, "Yes." He wouldn't meet anyone's eyes, not even Kira's.

"You nearly killed your own brother?"

Kira saw Regulus flinch at the words. He looked torn between defending himself and blaming himself.

After a moment he spoke, "I didn't know it was him."

"Reg," Kira began, "where did you learn such a horrible curse." She couldn't believe he'd even known such a thing.

"I, uh...Severus created it. He showed it to me," he clenched his jaw and looked up at her. His eyes were filled with tears. "I saw an order member—Sirius—corner one of ours," he chocked on his words. "He had them cornered and I fired the first spell I thought of."

Kira was on the verge of crying, she knew how much he was beating himself up for it and all she wanted to do was hold him mad never let go but she needed to help Aurelia and Sirius.

"I didn't want to hurt him," Regulus said, his face scrunching up as the tears fell.

"You cast the spell?" A deep voice said from the behind Regulus. Kira looked up and saw Sirius holding himself up against the door. The hurt on his face both physical and not.

Regulus turned around and looked Sirius in the eyes, giving him a slight nod.

Hurt flashed across Sirius' face, and then disappointment.

Regulus' body shook as he held back his sobs. Kira's heart broke watching them. They'd just gotten on so well at James' dinner party and now she didn't know if if their relationship was reconcilable.

"Kira," he said, he was afraid for what he was going to ask and the look on his face made it worse, "did you know he was a Death Eater?"

She cleared her throat before answering, feeling like her friendship with his was slipping out of her grip. "Yes."

He sighed, "Aurelia, let's go." His voice was soft, and she realized how exhausted he was.

Kira led them out and said her goodbyes, which were not long, and then turned around and put her back to the door. She sunk down to the floor and stared down the hallway.

Regulus stepped into the hallway, wiping his eyes. "I'm a monster," he whispered.

Her head shot up towards him. She got up and walked until she stood in front of him, and taking his hand in hers she said, "You are anything but," determination making her voice strong.

Regulus looked at her, and the pain on his face broke her. "I nearly killed my only brother," as he said it he broke into tears once more and she pulled him down into a hug. He cried into her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her waist.

She couldn't even be mad at him for using such a horrible spell. One her friend created.

She knew they were in a war, she just wished they were on the other side. Things were going to get worse and she didn't know if she was prepared for it.

________________________________________

Hehe I should be studying but hey I do my best work when I should be studying :)

– walkingmasterpiece xx