Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Rivers pushed aside a branch of leaves and narrowed his gaze. He took notice of the Federation checkpoint and marked down every detail he could. Three challenger 2's stationed by the toll gate, several dozen Federation women doing a variety of tasks, and low and behold, Akari herself was standing only twenty yards away from Rivers current position.

A sneer plastered itself on Rivers face. His detest of the Federation leader had grown significantly over the course of the breakout. Up until Commander Maho's collapse Rivers was fine with hating her for her actions. Now Rivers believed that Akari was just a dreadful person. Maho wasn't someone Rivers was exponentially close to, but he was good friends with Ed, and Ed had gotten remarkably close to Maho over the time of the match.

"Keep the traffic flowing, I want all Challenger tanks that come through here to reach Homedale by the end of the month. There's only seven months left for this war game and I want to win It before summers over." Akari said.

Rivers took mental note of this. It seemed Akari was gathering as large a force as she could. But for what? Could she be reading an attack on Glendale? The Association is on a defensive style, but they are by no means pushovers. What could Akari be planning?

With the information he now had Rivers decided not to press his luck. He slowly started moving backwards and kept himself low to the ground. The forest camouflage poncho he was wearing granted him better concealment. However the human eye tracks movement. If he rushed this, he would be caught and the whole operation would be put in jeopardy.

'Easy. Let the poncho and bushes do the work. Just like that Ranger book you read last year. They wont see you if you don't move to fast.' Rivers thought to himself.

Several minutes later Rivers made it around a small bend in the hills and rose to a low crouch. He then moved his way further away from the checkpoint and reached the rendezvous. He saw another figure covered in a poncho like him and made his way towards him.

"Any luck?" Donovan asked.

"Got some information, nothing about the cannon. But I think the others will want to hear what I have. How about you?" Rivers asked.

"Same. I did manage to swipe paper of troop movements. for the next several days we'll have complete knowledge of where the Federation forces are congregated." Donovan said.

"Homedale." Rivers stated.

Donovan looked at him with wide eyes. "How'd you know?" He asked.

"Akari was at the checkpoint I scouted. She wanted all Challenger tanks moving through that checkpoint to reach Homedale by months end. Something big is going down and we need to learn what." Rivers said. With that the two headed back to where Kay and the others were hiding, intent on using this new information to any advantage they could get.

Davis would have grinned had the sight not been so terrifying. Through his binoculars Davis saw the 32-meter-long barrel of the Gustav Cannon. The sight filled him with dread. How could they possibly destroy that thing? Sure Virginia's tanks were all M6 heavy's, but that cannon had almost fourteen-hundred tons of metal adorned into it. It would be difficult to take that thing down with 76mm shells.

"Quite the adversary we've to face wouldn't you say?" Darjeeling asked standing next to Davis.

"Quite." Was all Davis said. His mind trying and failing to formulate a sequential plan that entails the destruction of the cannon whilst the tanks under his command make it out unscathed. Davis just sighed and lowered his binoculars nearly giving into defeat. "For most of my life I have been a tactical mastermind and here I find myself against an obstacle that would ruin me."