Alt Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The American Tankery Hall of Fame was located in Denver Colorado to commemorate the founding of the American Tankery Association as well as the first American Tankery Match back in 1955. The Hall of Fame was also the location for the yearly meeting involving the American Department of Education, the American Tankery Association, and the families of the Students who partake in the sport. While meetings are normally cordial and fast, this meeting was anything but.

"We've been separated from our kids for four months! Four Months!" shouted an angered father.

"I want my baby boy to come home!" Yelled an estranged mother.

"Are you people even in contact with the Japanese!? If so then end this stupid match and give us our kids back!" Shouted another angered father. Kennedy Morrison of the Department of Education sighed as Mr. George Backer, Head of the Association, scrambled to calm down the number of angered and scared parents.

"Please everyone will you take your seats and then we can start with answering questions." George said. The yelling and screaming only intensified as the parents, mainly the fathers, seemed to be close to rushing up to the man in an aggressive manner.

A loud thunk of wood on wood and a snap of something surprisingly caught everyone's attention and caused the parents and officials to turn their heads towards the noise. Seated to the right of the large mob of parents sat three people. The silence was only due to who the individuals were. The man who made the noise was Joshua Mayes, an older man in his seventies who played the sport way back when. With him is his son Derek Mayes and his daughter in law Jada Mayes, both of whom look shocked at Joshua taking his walking stick and slamming it onto the wooden table snapping his cane in two in the process.

"Would you all kindly take your seats?" Joshua asked with a tone that made it clear he wasn't asking. The parents said nothing as they all went back to their seats and waited for Joshua's next words. "Mr. Backer, would you be so kind as to ask one of these young men standing around to room to fetch me a new cane?"

George Backer was quiet for a moment looking at the several young men who stood around the room as security for the Hall.

"Luis, go and get Mr. Mayes a new cane." George told one of the young men who nodded and left the room without a word. "Mr. Mayes, do you wish to start with a question about the match?"

"No! I want a new cane!" Joshua said harshly causing Mr. Backer to jolt.

"It is being fetched now sir. Would anyone else like to start with the questions?" Mr. Backer asked the crowd of parents. Many looked over to Joshua, but he didn't say anything, still many parents were still not sure of they should stand, until one mother did.

"My name is Edna Cooper, My son is William Cooper of Uncle Sam High School, My question is are our children safe??" Her question got some of the other parents to chime in and ask the same.

"We've received word from Colonel Abernathy when he arrived that the children are all fine and are taking care of themselves. We also sent an excess load of medical supplies with this months resupply ship. The boys have trained medics within their ranks, and I am fairly certain they can take care of themselves." Mr. Backer said.

"But how do we know that's true!?" Asked a father from the back.

"What is your name sir?" Mr. Backer asked.

"My name is Ivan Kuznetsov, my son Nikoli is also from Uncle Sam High School." Ivan said.

"Mr. Kuznetsov, while we have no radio contact with the island after Colonel Abernathy gave us the all clear we can reasonably assume that everything is well under control." Mr. Backer said.