Only the beginning

Penelope's pov

I woke up this morning expecting to see Clara safely in her bed and faced with the challenge of practically dragging her out of bed to watch the second task not that you could see much as from what I heard the second challenge involved the champions going underwater.I got ready expecting to see Clara having beaten me to the lake and hopped into a boat wrapping the furry coat that I had on tighter around me.I spotted Tom walking quickly through the crowd towards me and he frowned when he saw that there was no Clara beside me.

"Penelope wheres Clara?"Tom asked me when he reached the small boat which was to take me to the stands where I would watch the second task.

"I don't know she wasn't in  bed but I thought she may have beaten me to the stands you never know"I said and sat down trying to ignore the look in Toms eyes hoping that someday someone would be that worried about me I could never compete with her she was tall,beautiful,smart and so hard to say no to.Tom sat opposite me in the boat looking worriedly at the murky water and tapping his foot on the wooden planks of the boat,the second we arrived he practically jumped out the boat and left me standing there shocked at how fast he had moved somehow he had managed to get from where the boat was over to the headmaster Dippet in less than five seconds.

Toms pov
I had found some Gillyweed and stuffed it in my pocket I soon found Penelope at the boats and shared a boat with her not bothering to talk to her but trying to distract myself from worrying about where Clara was by tapping my foot repeatedly.The second the boat arrived at the stand and I jumped out moving faster than ever I thought I could move over to the old buffoon Dippet and faking a smile which he seemed to fall for.

"Worried Tom?"He asked standing perfectly upright and still.

"Not by about the task"I replied feeling in my pocket for the gillyweed and looking out at the black lake hoping that Clara was not down there what if I could not get to her in time or if something happened in the time that I was down there?

"There is no need to panic she will be perfectly safe"The old buffoon tried to reassure me as if anything he would say could reassure me the only thing which could do that would be seeing Clara myself with my very own eyes before me alive and well.

"You better go get changed the second task will start soon"Headmaster Dippet said and I curtly nodded once heading over to the boys changing room.

Penelopes pov

I stood trying to warm my hands up resting my arms on the railings looking out onto the black lake.It had rained overnight so the snow had melted.The champions all lined up on the edge of the stand and the whistle blew,Tom dived  expertly into the water after putting the gillyweed in his mouth.

"Please don't let her be down there"I whispered to myself crossing my fingers over only on one hand as it was bad luck for two.I nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt a hand on my shoulder.I spun round seconds after I felt their touch leave my jacket.

"What do you want?"I snapped still worrying about Clara.It was Abraxas who when he laughed so did the others.

"Wow I didn't know you were so easy to scare Fudge!"Abraxas said still laughing and clutching at his stomach.

"Honestly it cant be that funny!"I replied after a few moments thought about what Clara would do in this situation,of course I could not actually do what Clara would really do but by judging by how she has dealt with the immature followers of Tom I have picked up a few things.

"Oh it is Fudge it is because you see we are not laughing with you we are laughing at you"Ouch that hurt I had to admit even for me,why would it even matter to me what he said he was just a lying,stuck up,absolute brute...handsome,tall,muscular and oh lord he has such a beautiful smile...snap out of it Penelope your best friend,your only friend could be in some serious danger and maybe even dead...