Christmas at the Burrow

Nearly a year later, I had returned to 12 Grimmauld place, although it was not the same since Sirius died. The place became somewhat depressing as everyone seemed to ignore each other, not wishing to disturb the silence which had fallen like a blanket over the house. I had been packing my things, ready to leave and see Amber again, from what Penelope told me in her letters, she has grown very fond of snakes...and finding out who her father is, she almost reminds me of Tom when he was fascinated by his families heritage. It is actually how this whole thing started, if he had never known about his parents then I don't think he would have ever been making horcruxes to begin with. 

Sitting down onto the double bed, I lent back onto the plush pillows, my eyes fixed on the ceiling above. That was until a knock came to my door, and I jolted upright, just as Tonks walked into the room, her eyes moving over every object until they found two bags, sat in the corner of the room, and filled with only the necessary things to survive. 

"You are leaving?" She looked back at me in disbelief, but I thought I saw a flicker of understanding in her eyes. She knew why. 

"I cannot stay here, my time here is over" 

"Well...why don't you come to the Christmas celebrations with us, I am sure Molly wont mind one extra person" Before I could begin to blurt out reasons why I couldn't come Tonks stopped me.

"It will be fun, you look like you are in need of it" After I sent her a small smile of thanks she left, leaving me to get changed into something more appropriate for the evening. Putting on a knee length black sleeved lace dress, with a black tweed coat over the top I finished the look off with my hair down and wavy, and adding some pumps.

Going downstairs I was faced with the awkward situation of letting Remus and Tonks know I was ready, they would have probably noticed I was there if it were not for the make out session they were currently having. Making a small coughing noise, I eventually managed to notify them of my presence, causing them to both send me a look of embarrassment as an awkward silence began between us. 

"We should be going, or we will be late" Remus smiled, trying to lighten the mood, only for it to not work and for him to huff in annoyance. 

"If you are both going to act like that then we wont go" Only for Tonks to yell no and grab hold of his hand. 

"Clara" He turned to me, holding his arm out expectantly. I took it and closed my eyes, never had I enjoyed the feeling of apparating. Soon enough we landed just outside the Burrow. The front door opened and as jolly as ever, Molly burst out, followed by her many children and Harry Potter. 

"Its lovely to see you both!" She exclaimed, planting french kisses on both Remus and Tonks cheeks. Her smile only faded when she saw me.

"Clara...you are most welcome, but come inside quickly, they may be tracking you" And before I could register what was happening, I was inside the house and having my coat taken from me. None asked what Molly had meant by "they" because we all knew. Everyone stood in silence for a moment before Molly demanded the children except Harry leave, while the adults had a meeting in the kitchen. Once we were sat comfortably around the kitchen table, The daily prophet was pushed in front of me, and pictures of the Millenium Bridge in London flashed in front of my eyes.

"That happened back in June, the death eaters are tightening their grip on both our world and the muggles. They are out of control, the muggle prime minister has been warned of the danger but is demanding answers we cannot give. Ever since Fudge was fired the Ministry has got into a worse state, Rufus Scrimgeour is the latest Minister, however, he is making the same mistake as Fudge, he is giving everyone the feeling that everything will be alright" Remus explained, while my eyes flickered over the small writing on the paper.                   

"And we all know everything is far from alright"I replied, my eyes moving from the paper to Harry, to be honest, he was looking like he was getting over the death of his Godfather but it would take time before we could talk about the incident openly.Harry opened his mouth, about to speak but was interrupted by Molly.

"Its Christmas eve! Do we have to talk about such matters? Cant it wait til we all meet in a couple of weeks time with Kingsley and Snape?"As if on cue Ginny rushed into the room, chased by her brothers who were all demanding an apple pie that she had made.

"Mum!" Ginny whined, as Mrs Weasley got up from her place at the table and shooed the children back out of the room. Giving them all a lecture to act more mature in the process. The others stood from the table and began to set up for dinner. I would have helped by my eyes were fixated on the article about more death eaters being broken out of Azkaban. 

"Now I was going to send this back with Tonks and Remus but as you are here..." Molly handed me a small gift, wrapped in wrapping paper, with red ribbon tied around it, into a bow on the top. I smiled and took it, thanking her before reverting my eyes back to the newspaper.I didn't even notice that she was still beside my chair, and looking at the newspaper article herself. Before I knew what was happening she had taken it from me, sending me a worried look before walking off into the living room.  Tonks caught my shocked expression and smiled sweetly.

"Its for your own good, there is no reason why you should be worrying about that all night" 

After dinner everyone moved into the living room, exchanging presents to be opened for the next day, but Mrs Weasley let her children open some of the presents early. Reminding me that I could indeed be with my own child on Christmas eve. Quietly slipping away, I stepped outside into the cool night air and made for the local village, eventually finding myself at the park without a coat, alone at night. I only realized how stupid my decision to do this was when I got the feeling I was being watched.

My suspicions proved to be correct because a moment later, a dark figure stepped out from the shadows. I thankfully had kept my wand with me, I took it out from a hidden pocket in my dress and hid it behind my back, facing the person who was walking towards me, only lit by the streetlamp above. When I saw  that a figure looking as though it were female also stepped out from the shadows with a wand at hand, I took mine from behind my back and pointed it steady at them both. 

"You wont harm me, I know you wont" A silky voice, came from under the hood of the black cloak the person was wearing. My breathing hitched in my throat, I knew that voice, I would know it anywhere. It was Toms. My eyes moved over to the female figure, whom I guessed was Bellatrix. With a wave of his hand she apparated and was gone.

"Why are you here?"