King's cross station ~ Chapter five

"6:00 o clock!" A banging noise on my door woke me up, it was Martha, she was a new member of staff here and was almost always helping out with the outbreak of chicken pox. I rubbed my eyes groggily, pushing my bed covers away from me as I stepped out of my warm bed and onto the cold stone floor.I brushed my hair, untangling the mess my hair and changing out of my warm nightgown and into my cold Orphanage uniform.I glanced at my reflection in the mirror one last time just a knock sounded at the door. I moved toward it twisting the handle and pulling the door towards me; it was no surprise who stood just outside.

"Hello, Tom" I smiled at me as I stepped outside of the room and closed the door behind me, walking down the steps with Tom to breakfast. "Tom, how do you always know when I am ready to leave?"I said and looked over my shoulder at as he shrugged. "Intuition" Tom replied opening the door for me to the dining hall where over thirty kids conversations came to a halt and the muttering and whispering of things as we walked down to our seats began. I grabbed a bowl of slop and began to gulp it down, trying to hold my breath to avoid the smell. From above us, an owl came flying in through the open window and over the table; much to the awe and shock of us all. It landed gracefully in front of me with two letters in its mouth, as soon as I retrieved the letters from the owl it flew away back out the window. I passed Tom's letter to him, ripping open my own hastily, eager to know what was inside.

'Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry writes to Miss Clara Jean Pevensie, to inform her that she has been accepted into our school. She is to be ready to be picked up on the 1st of September, we will send one of our members of staff to take you to King's cross station.'  "September 1st...that means that we only have one week until we have to leave!"I muttered to Tom. swivelling around on the bench to face him, he opened his mouth to say something but an angry looking Mrs Cole stormed into the dining hall, her nostrils flared and face red. Instinctively, we hid our letters as she silenced the children sat around the long table with a clap of her hands. "Tom Riddle?!"

"Yes?"Tom innocently asked, shoving his letter discreetly into my hands in case she stalked over to him. "Come to my office, immediately!"Mrs Cole hissed, and Tom looking strangely unafraid smirked and stood from the bench. "I will see you later"I whispered to Tom as he made his way out of the breakfast hall trailing behind Mrs Cole steadily out of the room. The moment the doors were slammed shut everyone began to whisper among themselves as to why Tom had been sent to Mrs Cole's office in excited hushed voices. "He's probably going to get a beating, not that I care, serves him right too, there's something wrong with him I swear"I overheard someone whisper to their friends nearby, my spoon was put down with a clatter and abruptly the conversation stopped, the children now turning to face me.

"Listen to me when I say this; Tom is not evil, he is just misunderstood. I doubt any of you know him well enough to know that he can be very sweet and kind, but of course, none of you gave him the chance to prove himself, you just judge his actions which are brought on by you, because that is all you have ever known; and ever will know"I stood from my seat and headed back to my room.

***

 "I am professor Atwell,  I am a professor of muggle studies at Hogwarts school. Take my hands the both of you,  whatever you do do not let go. Upon our arrival at King's cross you may feel a bit wheezy as it's your first time, however, that is perfectly normal" She explained, holding her hands out either side of her for us to take hold of. "First time what?"I asked confused but taking the professors hand none the less, afraid of the consequences if I did not do exactly as she said "You'll see"She replied stiffly before we went flying through the air. When everything stopped moving, and the dizziness ceased, I was able to take note of the fact that we were now stood before a train, on a platform called nine and three quarters. Tom and I shared a look of excitement as we followed the professor onto the train, lugging our suitcases full of our clothes, school stationery, and in my case; more books than I would ever be able to read. We were led into a free compartment by the professor, who before leaving turned back round to us. 

"Stay here, when the train stops I will come back here to collect you" She grumbled, looking tired before leaving me and Tom alone to put our bags up onto the baggage compartments. Despite the fact that me and Tom were tall it was still hard to reach the compartments, we had to use the chairs to climb up and put them onto the racks. Once I had made myself comfortable I looked outside to see other kids our age also boarding the train, their parents kissing them goodbye their eyes flooded with tears. I wondered if my parents were alive then maybe my life would be different,  but then again,  I would never have met Tom.