Chapter 64

Lexi's POV

After Gabby fell asleep, I went outside to find Stefania. Marsha and Kathy were already back at the hospital, they brought me a change of clothes and the food that Juanita sent me. "Thank you," I said and they both hugged me. "Follow me," Stefania said. She took us to the same room as last time, but this time it was just Marsha, Kathy, Mackenzie, and I. "So this is what's going to happen," said Stefania. "Gabby is doing fine, she doesn't have trouble with her speech, she didn't have trouble remembering any of you and doesn't show any signs of paralysis. It's safe to say that she's out of the woods since her CT scan didn't show any swelling on her brain and she's responsive," said Stefania. "But things might downhill from here," she said and we all looked at her, concern showing in our faces. Mackenzie seemed to know what she was talking about.

Stefania sat down and took a deep breath. "We've decided to get Gabby off her meds," she said. "What? Why?" Asked Marsha. "She will be in a lot of physical pain!" Said Kathy. "You literally drilled a hole in her head! Not to mention the bullet you had to pull out of her stomach. She fractured a wrist and her shoulder is dislocated! How is she going to handle all that pain?" I asked. "Her body needs to detox from all the drugs," said Stefania. "We know," said Marsha. "But can we wait? You said the withdrawals are going to be strong, what happens if the wound of her stomach reopens?" Kathy asked. "I know this is a lot to take in," said Stefania. "And you are right, Gabby will be in a lot of pain, but you must know that the longer we wait the stronger they will get once she's off meds," said Mackenzie. "You agree with this?" Marsha asked Mackenzie. "I don't agree to this but there is no other way for her body to detox, believe it or not, I don't enjoy seeing my niece in pain if that's what your asking," she snapped back. "But how is she going to endure her physical pain?" I asked. "There are going to be risks, the physical pain might make her heart go in distress but that's why we are going to be monitoring her every minute. It will be painful, she will be in a lot of pain for the first few hours," she said. "After that, her body will manage to deal with the pain," she said and I shook my head. "How long until her body manages to find a way to deal with the pain?" I asked. "We don't know, everyone's body reacts differently," said Stefania. "How long?" I asked again. "It might take days, even weeks depending on how dependable her body had gotten to the drugs," said Mackenzie, and I felt like someone was squeezing my heart. "Are you 100% sure that there isn't another way? I'm sure we can all agree that Gabby has been through a lot of pain to last at least 3 lifetimes," I said. "I wish there was," said Stefania.

Marsha started rubbing her temples, Kathy was lost in thought. "What happens next?" Asked Marsha. "We will have to reduce visitors to only allow family members," she said. "The only people that will be allowed to see her are the ones in this room," she said. "That's not fair!" I said. "You just said she would only be allowed to have family members over! Every single person that has come by is her family!" I said. "Bri, Victor, and Kami are like her siblings!" I said. "And don't get me started on Juanita or Bri's mom!" I said. "Gosh! What are we supposed to tell the girls!?" I asked. "Little Becca had to fly all the way here to be with her!" I said and Stefania looked down at her hands. "I'm truly sorry but all this is what's best for Gabby," said Stefania. "Well, I don't agree with this!" I said walking out slamming the door behind me. How dare they!? How can Marsha and Kathy be okay with this!? I got my phone out and dialed Tina's number.

-Lex, I was just on my way to the hospital. Bri just called me, how are you holding up?

-It's okay, Marsha and Kathy didn't want the media to find out about this. They don't want to put Gabby in any more danger now that she's so vulnerable. I'm not okay Tin, I don't know how much longer I can keep this facade... I'm not that strong.

-It's okay, I'm almost there. We can talk and have some coffee.

-I'll wait for you at the entrance.