Chapter 29: Just Beyond The Trees

The entire group went to bed early, not quick though. We all remembered seeing Sarah's body get ripped open and eaten by those walkers. The person. I risked my life for died, because of what? My stupid idea. You lay awake staring up at the ceiling, listening to Clem's breathing next to you.

You look up at Rebecca and she seems to notice. "Hey Y/N." You sit up while pulling off your jacket. You lay it on Clem and walk to Rebecca. Once you reach her, you sit down on your knees. Pointing towards Rebecca.

Y/N: "Hey. How's he doing?"

Rebecca: "He's perfect. Who's a perfect little man? Who's the most perfect little man in the whole world? You are! That's right. You are." She says it quietly.

Y/N: "He looks like Alvin."

Rebecca: "You think so?"

Y/N: "Definitely."

Rebecca: "Thank you."

Rebecca: (coughs) "I'm fine, I'm fine...I just wish I could get warm..."

Mike: "Y/N.. Why don't you give her that coat we found?" Mike sits up from his sleep.

You hold out the coat for her to take, which she does.

Mike: "Sorry, y'know, about the color."

Rebecca: You really think I care about that?" She waits a few seconds before turning towards you with the baby in her hands. "Do you...wanna hold him?"

Y/N: "Could I?"

Rebecca: "Of course. You're family. Here."

Rebecca hands the baby to You, and he starts crying.

Y/N: "Shh, shh. There you go."

Rebecca: "You're a natural."

Kenny: "Look at you. Like a big brother." Kenny stands up and walks to you and Rebecca.

Kenny: "Here, let me take him. You both should rest. Especially you."

Kenny takes the baby.

Rebecca: "When's the last time you slept, Kenny?"

Kenny: "About two years ago. I'm fine." He looks down at the baby. "Plus somebody's gotta watch you while Mama gets her beauty sleep." (sniffs baby) "You never forget that smell."

Kenny walks away. Clem notices Jane outside the room, and follows her. Jane looks through the shutter window of the other room.

Jane: "Aw, shit."

Y/N: "What are you doing?"

Jane: "Listen...I'm sorry. I've gotta go." (opens shutter) "Come on, the longer I stay, the harder it'll be. Yeah...it is what it is."

Y/N: "Go? Go where?"

Jane: "Just...away, okay Save the puppy-dog eyes. You knew this was coming."

Jane: "You know...Jaime...Sarah... I'm not gonna stick around and...and watch it happen to you, too. You know the score. You're a smart kid..."