Chapter 8: A House Divided

Walkers pound on the cigarette truck that Pete, you and Clementine are hiding in.

Pete: "Well, they shouldn't be able to get through that. On the downside, we can't get through them."

Clementine and Pete sits down, while you stand up and lean against the wall. Pete holds his injured right leg.

Pete: "What're you lookin' at? Starin' ain't polite. Come on out and say it."

Clementine: "What are you going to do?"

Pete looks at the hacksaw sitting on the table. "Hand me that there."

Y/N: "It's worth a shot, I guess..."

Pete: "I got nothin' to lose. Other than my piggly-wigglies, of course."

Clementine hands Pete the saw.

Pete places the saw over his leg and grits his teeth. He can't bring himself to do it and throws the saw to the floor.

Pete: "I'd bleed out like a stuck pig. What are you both gonna do, carry me outta here on your back? Hell. Just...just give me a minute."

Clementine: "Try to get some rest. There's a lot of stuff in here. Me and Y/N'll try to find something to help."

Clementine crouches Down in front of her backpack that you found. I almost forgot I grabbed that. She opens up the bag and takes out a water bottle.

Pete: "Anything in there?"

Clementine: "Not much. Here."

Pete: "Thanks." Pete drinks all the water in one large gulp.

Clementine: "We'll keep looking around."

Clementine walks to the front of the truck with you and Looks inside it.

Clementine: "The keys are still in it."

Pete: "Well. Worth a shot."

Clementine tries to turn on the car.

Pete: "Outta gas."

The sign says:

DANGER
CRUSH HAZARD KEEP CLEAR OF LOADING AREA WHEN BOOM IS IN OPERATION. START AND OPERATE BOOM CRANE FROM OPERATORS SEAT ONLY. DO NOT PLACE ANY LOOSE OBJECTS INSIDE CAB AREA.
The wires are severed.

You search the box for anything useful.

Pete: "What's in there? Anything we can use?"

You take out a pack of cigarettes and shows it to Pete.

Pete: "Gimme one of those. Probably tastes like pine tar by now. But I'd smoke a dead coon's tail if you had one. Hand it here."

Clementine: "You shouldn't."

Pete: "Why? They gonna kill me? Gimme those." Pete grabs the pack of cigarettes.

Pete: "Got a light?"

Pete takes out a cigarette and Clementine lights it for him.

Pete: "Well, that tastes about as bad as it smells."

Clementine: "Now what?"

Pete: "We wait."

Clementine sits down next to you, your eyes get all sleepy and the feeling of the adrenaline rush goes away for the sleep to hit you.

Sometime at Nightfall

You open your eyes after hearing sounds come from in front of you. Pete lays in front of you. Besides the fact of Pete squirming on the ground. You feel a large object weighing on your right shoulder, you look over and see Clementine asleep on your shoulder a peaceful look is on her face as she sleeps. Besides her sleeping on you, you investigate the sound that woke you up in the first place. Pete is hunched on the floor, groaning. At first he scares you. You gently put Clementines head down on the floor and grab the hacksaw from the floor. You walk to him.

Y/N: "Pete?"

Pete coughs and sits up.

Pete: "Damn it. I feel like ten pounds of shit in a five pound sack. Jesus. Stuck in this can the whole damn day. You want to hear somethin' funny? I've been thinkin', and I don't want to die. Never thought I'd be the kinda idiot to say somethin' like that. But there it is. I'm scared, Y/N. Jesus, I'm scared."

Y/N: "You're going to be okay."

Pete: "At least spare me the bedside bullshit."

Pete: "Would you...would you promise me you'll watch out for Nick? I love that stupid kid. No matter what you think, he is a good boy. He's been playin' a tough hand, but he is a good boy."

Y/N: "I'll do what I can."

Pete: "Thank you."

You say nothing.

Pete: "Been almost a day. They ain't gonna find us."

Pete gets up.

Clementine: "Where are you going?"

Pete partially opens the doors; walkers roam around nearby.

Pete: "I'm not gettin' outta this. You're gonna have to make a break for it. I'll buy you some time."

Y/N: "You're coming with me."

Pete: "To do what? Die a couple hours later than now?"

Y/N: "To say goodbye to Nick."

Pete: "Alright. I'll try. Well...like my daddy used to say, we're burnin' daylight."

Pete: "Let's get this over with. Wake up Clem."

You walk over to Clem and shake her hastily. She opens her eyes and look at you waiting for you to say something.

Y/N: "We gotta go."

Clementine: "What about Pete?" She stands up and rubs her eyes.

Y/N: "He's coming with us, get your backpack let's go." Clementine gets her backpack while you head toward the back of the truck. A short while later she crouches next to you two.

Pete, You and Clem get out of the truck. And hop of the truck and start running. A walker gets close to you, but the groups runs. Pete falls grabbing his bitten leg.

Pete: "This ain't gonna work. Go on now. Find my nephew."

Clementine & Y/N: "Were not leaving you."

Pete: "I said go! Goddamn it, go!" Pete stands up and pushes you back lightly. "Go!" He shouts at you.

Pete: "Run.." you start running away. Clementine in front of you. his words gets drowned out by his screams of agony as he hits bit by multiple walkers without a weapon.

You run into the woods with Clementine. She runs in the only direction she thinks the house would be in. A tear comes to your eye as you think about the only person who helped you at the start when you and Clem were wounded. You wipe away the tear, too many people have lost for you to whine about everyone.