Chapter 7: I Cant Keep My Head Above The Water

Clementine, Pete and you walk through the forest on the way to the river.

Pete: "How ya both holding up? I heard you got an earful from Rebecca last night. Once she gets going, there's no bringing her back. Her bark's worse than her bite."

Y/N: "She's all talk. She doesn't scare me."

Pete: "She was in a mood last night, that's for sure..." Pete crosses over a brown door. You And Clem pass the door easily and catch up with Pete.

Clementine: "How far are these fish traps?"

Pete: "It ain't much father." Clementine looks over at Pete's rifle and he notices. "Anyone teach you how to shoot? By that I mean taught proper. Any idiot with a finger can shoot."

Clementine: "Our friend Lee taught us."

Pete: "That's good. It's important nowadays." You three pass through some wire and continue walking.

Pete: "Nick was about your age first time I took him huntin'. Came across this beautiful 13-point buck just standin' there on the ridgeline. The boy takes the rifle...lines up the shot just like I taught him...then I hear him start whinin'. He turns to me and he says, 'I can't do it. I can't shoot it, Uncle Pete. Please don't make me shoot it.'"

Clementine: "Really? No way."

Nick runs up to the three of you and stops when he reaches Pete.

Nick: "Hey! Why didn't you wait?"

Pete: "You want us standin' around while you piss on a tree? You know where the river is, boy."

You continue walking.

Pete: "Anyway, so I grab the gun out of his hand before this big buck runs off when BANG! The gun fires. Boy nearly gut shot me. And of course the buck gets away."

Nick: "What're you goin' and tellin' them this shit for?"

Pete: '"Cause you almost blew his face off yesterday. Seems relevant. Tryin' to let him know it's nothin' personal with you."

Nick: "Why are you always giving me a hard time?"

Pete: "Because you're always givin' everyone else a hard time."

Nick: "I apologized already. They accepted."

Pete: "Okay, well, I didn't know that."

Y/N: "It's fine. He apologized."

Nick: "You're always trying to embarrass me."

Pete: "You're doing a good enough job of that on your own."

Nick walks ahead of the three of you, walking angrily.

Pete: "Leavin' us again?"

Nick: "I know where the fucking river is!"

Pete shakes his head and turns back to you and Clem. "So anyway...I found that buck later that season. Shot it right in the neck. Brought it up to my sister's, figurin' she'd want to freeze some of the meat... Nick didn't speak to me for weeks. Sometimes you gotta play a role...even if it means people you love hate you for it."

Y/N: "Quotable."

Clementine: "You should Pete that, I think he'd like to know you aren't just being like that towards him for no reason."

A loud yell erupts from Nick, cutting through the quiet forest.

Nick: "UNCLE PETE!"

Clementine, You, and Pete run to Nick hastily. You start walking once you see him fine, standing still with the rifle still in his hands.