CHAPTER 69

BO-YOUNG

I carefully stack the few items I own into the cardboard moving box Jungkook gave me. He gave me two boxes, leaving me to pack as he finishes his last day of work. Once he gets home, the boxes go into the van, and the moving company will drive them all the way to Jungkook's new home.

I neatly fold the clothes Jungkook bought me when we first met. They were the first clean and untattered clothes I'd gotten since I became a stray. I'm still thankful for everything he did for me – everything he does even now.

I hold the pen, the golden one with intricate details carved in, in my hand, feeling its weight as I gently bounce it up and down. Somehow, it doesn't feel as important – as valuable – as it once did. Of course, fond memories of my time with Grace still occupy my mind as I look at it, but every memory seems more clouded. I remember the day Jungkook and I signed the "adoption" papers. I chuckle as I recall the look of surprised bewilderment on his face as I offered him the pen.

I carefully place it in the box, smiling at memories gone by. I have no doubt that I prefer my memories with Jungkook to the ones with Grace. With Jungkook's help, I now feel like I've finally been able to move on from both my life with Grace and my struggles to survive as a stray.

My train of thought is interrupted by my phone buzzing a few times in succession. I discard the box and open my phone to find Jimin calling. I answer it.

"Hi, Bo-young," Jimin greets.

"Hey, what's up?" I answer back to him, slightly confused about why he's calling.

"Jungkook told me that you know about the surprise. I wanted to know how you're faring," he tells me.

"I'm quite excited. He told me that you helped get me a job there," I say. "Thank you."

"No problem, bunny. It's the least I could do. Has Jungkook told you when you're leaving?" I hum a no.

"The boxes are leaving today, so I assume Jungkook and I will go shortly after," I tell him, thinking about the logistics.

"Hm, well, he said you two would be arriving sometime tomorrow evening. Maybe when you settle in, we could go get drinks or something and catch up," he suggests.

"Hm, sure," I agree. "We could go once I've gotten my first paycheck. I'll buy you a drink to say thanks."

"Bo-young, you don't have to-" Jimin interjects, but I stop him.

"I want to. You've really helped me a lot, and it's the least I can do," I say.

Jimin stays silent for a second, but I can hear him sigh in playful exasperation before saying: "Okay, fine, if you insist. I'll see you on your first day at work."

"And when will that be?" I ask.

"Next week Monday," he informs.

"Okay, I'll see you then," I say. "Once again, thank you."

He chuckles. "No problem, Bo-young. Anything for a friend."

I hang up after we say our goodbyes.

It'll be nice getting closer to Jimin. He seems nice. Moving to a new town does stress me out a bit, though.

I continue packing, my mind wandering as I load the last of my stuff into the second box. Looking at all of my stuff clumped together like this, I realize that I don't have much. Everything that I own fills not even two whole moving boxes, the second one barely being half-full. Still, things are something you accumulate over time. In a few years, I'll have more.

I finish taking everything out of my room, leaving it almost desolate. Only the bed, the closet, and the nightstands remain. It looks almost like it did when I first moved here; it feels blank and unoccupied, not even a trace of personality in sight. This room has been mine for a few months now, and now I am leaving it. This room was my first since Grace's house.

Of course, I'll return eventually, but I still feel sentimental. Instead of me moving in with Jungkook, this time, we'll be moving in together. It's uncharted territory, and I can't say I'm not nervous.

An hour or so later, the door unlocks, and Jungkook comes in, this time much more chipper than he was yesterday. He places his work bag on the ground, loosens his tie, ruffles his hair out of its neat style, then looks at me with a toothy grin.

"How was it?" I ask him, his excitement slowly spreading to me too.

"Mundane and tiresome as always, but it's over," he tells me, beaming.

He walks into the apartment, his shoes still on, making his way towards me.

"Jungkook, shoes," I point out, worried about him tracking dirt into the newly vacuumed floor. He pulls me up from the couch by my hand.

"Bo-young, it's not me who needs to take my shoes off, but you who needs to put some on," he tells me before leading me to the vestibule. I snort at his antics.

"Where are we going?" I ask as I pull on a pair of shoes, clipping on my collar afterwards. I turn to find Jungkook putting on his fashionable choker, the one he bought himself to make me feel less alienated going out.

With a shrug, he tells me: "You'll see."

He takes my hand before pulling me out of the apartment behind him. 

(AN: This was a bit of filler, but I feel like I need something between this chapter and the next. I already wrote it, so expect the next update within the next few days.)

(Any guesses for where Jungkook is taking Bo-young?)