CHAPTER 79

BO-YOUNG

My vision blurs as I scamper out from underneath my now-empty pile of clothes, diving off the wooden porch and into the winter snow. I can hear the familiar sound of shifting as Suhye quickly pursues me. I can feel my heart beating faster than ever, pulsing rapidly in my chest as I let out quick yet controlled breaths, as I urge my legs to carry me through the woods as quickly as is possible, diving in and out of the thick snowfall with a fox right on my tail.

Suhye is swift as a fox. Out of the corner of my eye, I can faintly see her autumnal orange form gaining on me fast. She huffs with every bound she takes towards me, leaving dissipating trails of fog in the air. She is terrifying.

I take a sudden turn, kicking snow into her face as I begin zig-zagging back towards the house, where I see Jungkook and Jimin looking at us with looks of confusion and concern amidst what seems like a serious discussion.

My evasive manoeuvre doesn't prove to be as effective as I'd hoped because, within seconds, Suhye is back on my trail with a glint of determination in her eyes.

She's close to catching me again, but before she does, I leap into the air and back onto the porch, landing with a soft thud before continuing running towards Jungkook and Jimin, weaving between their legs.

"Bo-young!-" I hear Jungkook call out, but he's cut off when Suhye weaves between his legs to get to me, knocking him over into the snow.

My pace begins to lag as I chuckle at his bewilderment, which proves to be a fatal mistake. Within milliseconds of my slowing down, I feel a warm muzzle jab into me, flinging me briefly into the air before I descend ungracefully into the snow.

Even with my head in the snow, I can hear Suhye laugh in a series of yelps and friendly gekkering.

I lift myself from the snow, shaking off the snow from atop my head. I see Suhye approach and grab me from the nape of my neck, lifting me from the snow before beginning to trot the short way back to the porch. As we near, Jimin and Jungkook – who had also just clambered out of the snow – both look at us in horror.

"Suhye!" Jimin shouts, seeing her carry me by the neck, assuming that we've been in an altercation. He moves to rush forward, but Jungkook holds him back by the shoulder with a bemused look, having noticed the playful nature of our chase and the noticeable lack of blood.

Suhye drops me in front of Jungkook, who promptly picks me up. He follows Suhye as she proudly prances back to where our piles of clothes are.

Once we shift back and are dressed, the four of us go back inside.

I sit on the couch next to Suhye as Jimin pours the two of us steaming hot cups of hot chocolate from the thermos. Suhye seems much more relaxed, the pent-up nervous energy having left her.

Suhye notices my sideways looks towards her and turns towards me, a confident look on her face.

"I'll admit it, Bo-young. You're fast for a bunny," she admits. "But not fast enough."

I chuckle.

"I would have won had you not tipped Jungkook into the snow. You distracted me," I tell her. We both glance at Jungkook, who has snugly wrapped himself in a blanket, his hair wet from the melted snow.

She shrugs before saying: "Whatever lets you sleep at night."

Jimin passes us the cups of hot chocolate.

"Next time you two decide to play tag, tell us. I was worried," Jimin says before sitting down with Jungkook.

A calm silence falls between the four of us as we sip our hot chocolates, but the quiet doesn't last for too long.

"Thank you," Suhye whispers to me.

"It's nothing. I'm glad you seem to be feeling better," I reply.

Suddenly, Jungkook stands up after checking his watch.

"I need to make a call, excuse me," he says.

Jimin and Jungkook exchange looks before Jungkook excuses himself into the other room, taking the blanket with him. Jimin leans back, crossing his legs and whistling a tune.

"What was that?" I ask Jimin, sensing that he's hiding something.

He looks at me with pursed lips, shrugging. "Nothing important. I wouldn't worry about it."

Suhye eyes Jimin with similar suspicion. She huffs.

"Nothing important, huh," I begin questioning.

Suhye continues by saying: "That must be why you're acting so natural."

Jimin, flustered by the sudden confrontation, stumbles over his words for a moment before spouting out: "What's with you hybrids being so curious? Just relax and, uh, eat some crisps."

He shoves the bowl of chips towards us desperately.

"Alright, then. Keep your secrets," I relent, feeling pity as I watch him shrink into the couch. He's not used to being glared at by two hybrids prying for secrets.

Suhye reluctantly follows suit, leaning back and crossing her arms.

"You, humans, think you're so mysterious," she mutters to him.

Our interrogation ends just as Jungkook walks into the living room, carrying something under his jacket.

"I need to step out for a moment," he informs us. He stands, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

"Why?" I ask.

He gives me a reassuring smile.

"I wouldn't worry about it," he tells me.

"I'm beginning to," I say. He doesn't respond to this, he simply reassures that he'll be back, then he puts on his outdoor gear once again and steps out.