CHAPTER 61

(AN: Only remembered that this is a hybrid fic in the last few paragraphs. Oops.)

BO-YOUNG

Jungkook and I wait at the bottom of a large, towering apartment complex near the center of the city, waiting for someone to buzz us in. Specks of snow float down from the thin veil of clouds above, littering the street around us with white dots before they rapidly melt, painting the grey paved street with spots of water. Jungkook looks at me, his face half-hidden by his long grey scarf. His ears are tinted red from the cold, as are his cheeks. He reaches towards me, adjusting my scarf, the red one I stole, to cover my reddened nose.

"I swear it wasn't this cold earlier today," I say through the scarf as I shift uncomfortably, glancing up at the tall building.

"You went outside?" Jungkook asks, raising his eyebrow. I open and close my mouth, unable to find an excuse.

"None of your business," I mutter, glaring fiercely at him. He laughs.

"It's fine, you aren't that sick anyways," he says casually. He bounces impatiently, huffing as he fights the cold. I can see his breath in the air passing through his scarf and dispersing into the air. When he sees me staring at him, his eyes form into a joyous crescent moon shape, and his cheeks push up out of the scarf revealing their rosiness. It's not hard to tell that he's smiling, despite his grin being hidden by the fabric.

"What are you smiling about?" I ask him, chuckling at his antics.

His grin widens as he looks away, his head turning towards the locked door for a moment before he returns his attention to me. "I don't know. It could be that I'm nervous, or that the cold has reached my brain, causing severe brain damage that causes me to smile uncontrollably, or maybe it's that your face has turned adorably red in the cold."

I gasp, pulling my red scarf up to cover my whole face. Jungkook whines playfully before attempting to tug the scarf down. I hold onto it stubbornly.

"No," he says between his laughter, "I said it was adorable! You don't need to hide it!"

"That's the worst part! How am I supposed to face you when I'm now even redder?" I say half-laughing, my voice muffled. I crouch down to avoid his attempts to pry the scarf off my face, causing him to laugh more.

Suddenly, we hear a buzz. The door opens automatically, the warmth of the heated room welcoming us in like an old friend.

"C'mon," Jungkook says, calming his laughter down to chuckles, reaching his gloved hand down towards me to help me up. I grab it, letting him hoist me up to stand before leading me in, his hand still holding mine.

We head into an elevator, where Jungkook presses the button bringing us to the 16th floor out of the 18. The elevator begins its slow ascent.

I release my hand from his to unwrap my scarf from around my neck, the heating in the elevator making me feel overheated. Jungkook does the same before pulling off his gloves.

"18 floors, huh," I say, tapping my fingers against the metal railing of the elevator in a staccato beat.

"Yeah," Jungkook says. "An apartment in this place isn't cheap."

"Woah," I simply say, planning to say more, but before I can, the elevator dings and the doors slide open.

A long hallway with grey walls and white wooden baseboards complete with matching pillars stretches out beyond the elevator doors. Small circular lights embedded in the ceiling shine down on the black carpeted floors. Every 15 feet or so, there are black wooden doors. Jungkook walks down the hall, stopping at one of the identical wooden doors before knocking. Behind the door, I can hear chattering and the clashing of glasses as people cheer. Jungkook knocks again, but to no avail. He kicks the door.

The chatters stops.

"This'll be incredibly awkward if you got the wrong door," I say to him in a whisper. Jungkook scoffs.

"As if I'd get the wrong door."

I shrug.

I hear footsteps approach before the door swings open, revealing a man with full lips and a mature-looking face. His demeanor is calm. He greets Jungkook with a smile and a hug, muttering "welcome back" to him before looking at me. Dimples adorn his face as another smile spreads across his face. He reaches out a hand for a handshake.

"You must be Jungkook's hybrid, Bo-young. I'm Namjoon," he greets. I cautiously shake his hand, a primal fear of botched handshakes taking over me. To my delight, nothing goes wrong and the handshake ends without awkward complications.

When my eyes meet Namjoon's almond-shaped eyes, I find them wide in surprise. I glance at Jungkook, whose face is occupied with the same fond smile he wears every time he deems something I do to be cute.

"What? What happened?" I ask, my eyes darting between the two men.

"Your ears-"

I grab onto the two bunny ears protruding out of my head that I had almost forgotten about at this point.

Oh no. My cursed ears have done it again.