CHAPTER 58

BO-YOUNG

I jolt awake, remembering that Jungkook is only going to the store, which takes around an hour if he's slow. If he finds me passed out on his bed, he'll label me as a massive creep.

I scramble up, not even bothering to rub the sleep out of my eyes. Luckily, I managed to wake myself up before it was too late. I tip-toe to the door, masterfully avoiding the scattered papers and sketches as I make my way to the door. I slowly open it, wincing at the same squeaking noise from the hinges that greeted me when I first entered the room. It couldn't have been more than half an hour ago.

I step out of the room and let out a shriek that would impress even a banshee. Jungkook gawks at me with widened eyes, his mouth hanging open as his chest rises and falls rapidly, holding back laughter. His hand is outstretched towards the door to his room.

"Woah," he says, still in awe at my loud shriek. I place my hand over my heart as I calm my uneven breaths.

"You startled the life out of me," I manage to say as I catch my breath, chuckles bubbling up inside me once the burst of adrenaline has worn off.

"I startled you?" he laughs out. "I could have gone deaf because of that shriek."

I shift my weight from one leg to the other before doing awkward finger guns at Jungkook.

"Well, I shall take my leave, good sir," I tell him as I duck to the side, hoping he'll disregard the fact that I was snooping around in his room. I glance at Jungkook one more time to see one of his eyebrows raised. He shakes his head before entering his room.

The quiet sound of the simmering pot distracts me. I can faintly hear Jungkook rummaging around in his room. I walk into the kitchen and look into the pot. Chicken soup is cooking on low heat.

"Jungkook?" I call out. "Why are you making food? We just ate."

Jungkook's head pops out of his room. He looks at me, a confused look on his face.

"What are you on about? It's past midday," he tells me. I freeze.

"Jungkook," I say, my voice now shaky. "How long was I asleep?"

"Seeing as returned at 10:30, and now it's around..." He checks his watch. "Hey! Would you look at that! 12:32 PM. You were asleep for-"

"That's around 2 hours..." I say, mortified.

Jungkook goes back into his room, returning to the living room after changing his shirt. He now wears a loose hoodie.

"Sit, I made soup," he says as he walks past me and to the pot, picking up two bowls from one of the cabinets. I comply, sitting down on one of the stools. I sniff tiredly as I listen to Jungkook portioning the soup. He sits in front of me, passing me one of the bowls.

"This is so cliche," I say nasally, following my statement with a chuckle.

Jungkook shrugs. "You know, you're lucky that I'm considering your flu. Soup helps."

"How?" I challenge.

Jungkook shrugs before saying: "There are... studies. Look, I don't know. It helps in cartoons."

I nod as I take out my phone to fact-check.

"You're right, it apparently helps," I say, putting away my phone.

I taste the food, sighing happily as I feel the warmth soothe my strangely sore throat. Within minutes, my bowl is empty.

"Do you want more?" he asks as he eyes me as if he were looking at a starving wolf.

"No, I'm good. Now I can finally lay down and die," I say as I slump onto the table, placing my head into my arms, enjoying the cool tabletop on my forehead.

"Stop being dramatic," Jungkook says, seemingly amused by my antics.

"I can't hear you, I'm dead," I sleepily say. I hear him get up. Afterward, I only hear silence.

Suddenly, I feel weightless. My arms drop from my face as I'm scooped up into Jungkook's arms. I yelp.

"Jungkook! Put me down! I promise I won't be dramatic-" I try to reason. Jungkook just laughs. "How are you even carrying me? I know you're beefy, but I don't think I've ever seen you hit the gym."

Jungkook ignores me as he gently places me down on the couch. He wraps the quilt around me before fluffing the cushions.

"You need to get better ASAP," he says as he moves around the small apartment. He brings me the bar of chocolate I requested. I gingerly begin to unwrap it.

"Let's face reality," I begin. Jungkook stops in his tracks. "I'm not getting better by tomorrow."

Jungkook smiles sadly at me. "Don't lose hope."

"People only recover from colds when they don't want to, like when they have an exam the next day and hope their flu will last another day. On the other hand, when important things are happening, the flu persists," I explain.

"You think exams aren't important?" he questions.

"Don't try to take the high horse on this matter, plus, I never went to school," I tell him. He reluctantly nods in agreement.

"You were homeschooled, though. Right?" he asks.

"Yeah."

The conversation drifts to silence as I watch Jungkook finish off his soup and place the dishes into the sink. I eat some of the chocolate. Even with the blanket Jungkook draped over me, I feel cold. Chills run down my spine.

"Jungkook, what will happen tomorrow if I'm still sick?"

He thinks for a moment. "I don't know. I don't want to leave you here alone, but I also really want to go see Jin and the others. It's been so long since we've all been together."

"You should go," I tell him. "I don't want you missing out on a once a year opportunity because of my immune system."

Jungkook smiles, looking down for a moment.

"We'll see tomorrow." 

(A/N: So, this is a trash chapter. It's 2 AM here, and I'm sleep deprived as hell. I'm going to update more now that Finland's schools are closed. Hopefully, the next chapters will be better. This is 100% filler.)