FINALE Pt.2

BO-YOUNG

I only manage to tear my eyes away from the colourful blast once it disappears into the sky. I turn my attention to where I'm going when I almost trip over my own feet.

Jungkook drags me rushedly towards the old house.

The closer we get, the more I remember the house. The chipped white paint on the outer walls tarnishes the house's facade, though I doubt it could be salvaged, seeing as I can see the interior from outside.

Jungkook pushes open the heavy white door – the salmon-coloured accents have faded almost beyond sight – with a loud and abrasive creak before leading me into the dark house. He confidently leads me past the once-lavish dining room and up the stairs into the familiar empty room.

The scene is almost the exact same as it was a few months ago when he brought me up here for a picnic-

It finally dawns on me.

"Picnics," I blurt out. "You have a habit of always surprising me with picnics."

This revelation doesn't impress Jungkook, though, seeing as I'm standing in front of the picnic itself.

He snorts.

"Indeed, Sherlock."

The scene is eerily similar, except for one glaring difference.

Back in autumn, specks of dust floated around the room, shining beautifully in the fleeting sunlight. Now –instead of dust– snowflakes drift in through a large angled gap in the roof.

The picnic, which Jungkook set up on a soft quilt, is set up below the 'skylight', through which we can see the distant patch of sky above the village where the fireworks are going off. He even finished the scene by decorating the area with silver tinsel from the box that I thought had gone missing. 

He leads me to the blanket, sitting down and handing me a thermos full of more hot chocolate.

"Isn't it kind of cold for a picnic?" I question as I seat myself across from Jungkook.

He feigns surprise.

"Oh no, Bo-young. Whatever shall I do? This is a tragedy – a catastrophic oversight!" he says sarcastically, as he reaches for the blanket he took with him from the living room, holding it up to prove a point.

"There's only one," I point out before realizing what he's done. "Jungkook! You absolute cliché!" I accuse as my face flares in embarrassment.

Jungkook laughs, leaning back almost far enough to tip over. He rights himself before draping the blanket over his shoulders, opening one side to invite me in. He raises his eyebrow, which I interpret as a challenge. I glare at him and stay still.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Bo-young. With this amount of stubbornness, I'm inclined to think you're a mule hybrid instead of a bunny," Jungkook says, his patience waning.

I sit there, my mouth agape –scandalized– before I relent. I scoot next to Jungkook, pressing into his side as he wraps the blanket around me, his arm lingering around my shoulder.

"Bo-young: the Tsundere," he says quietly.

"Watch it," I warn him, lightly elbowing him in his now-exposed ribs. He withdraws in laughter, surprised by my sudden jab.

"Alright, alright. You're not a tsundere. Happy?" Jungkook yields, raising his hands in surrender.

"Yes."

I hate to admit that the room feels much colder without his arm around me. I shake my head to rid myself of that cringe-inducing thought.

"Now, stop fluffing around and unveil the food," I demand.

He complies, revealing what he packed. Inside, I see salted caramel dark chocolate, store-bought biscuits, a bag of marshmallows, and many other dessert snacks I had noticed Jungkook shovelling into the shopping basket back at the store. My mouth waters at the sight.

Jungkook rips open the bag of marshmallows, popping a few into his thermos of cocoa before passing the bag to me. I do the same.

As we sip our drinks, a succession of far-away pops rings through the air, another small array of fireworks rising into the sky.

"This is nothing compared to what it'll be like at midnight," Jungkook says. I look at him, but his eyes don't stray from the fireworks.

"Oh? How long until midnight?" I ask, diverting my attention back to the sky.

"2 minutes," Jungkook replies.

A moment of silence passes between us as we sip our hot chocolate, enjoying the shared warmth and the rare sight of the sky full of colours.

I barely notice Jungkook's eyes turn to me.

"What is it?" I ask. Jungkook looks startled.

"What?" he asks, confused.

I turn to face him.

"You look like you want to say something," I point out.

He smiles awkwardly.

"You know me too well," Jungkook says, smiling fondly.

I tilt my head, waiting for him to say what's on his mind, but he says nothing, his mouth opening and closing time and time again as he struggles to find the right words. He bows his head, taking a moment to gather himself.

When he looks back up, I notice a change. A hesitant look has replaced his usual confident and laid-back demeanour.

"I'm really glad you're here," he says. 

I smile.

"You've said this before," I say, chuckling at how nervous he is.

"I know, but there's something I haven't said before," he tells me.

The atmosphere becomes serious. He leans slightly forwards, his eyes looking solemnly into mine, revealing the turmoil he's in. The silence is filled only with the ever-increasing pops of the fireworks.

Midnight must be only a minute away.

"I-" he begins, but the words get stuck in his throat.

The explosions swell, the sparks lighting half of Jungkook's face in varying hues.

As the fireworks crescendo, he makes a snap decision.

He tilts my head by my chin, coming closer than he ever has before.

My eyes remain wide open in shock as his lips meet mine, the shock soon disappearing as I can't help but smile against the kiss. Jungkook soon follows in suit, breaking the kiss to chuckle, our foreheads pressed together affectionately.

"I love you," he whispers so quietly that if he weren't so close, I wouldn't have heard him.

My grin widens, my cheeks reddening as I look up at him.

"You're so cheesy," I remark, chuckling.

The fireworks don't cease, even when the clock hits 00:01. They continue rising, exploding into the air, some looking like silvery dandelions in the sky while others paint the night in brilliant colours and whiz down in cascading lights.

Jungkook looks flustered, yet relieved, lowering his head to hide his red face.

I carefully cup his cheeks with my cold hands, lifting his head –much like he did to me– before planting a quick kiss on his lips.

I whisper:

"I love you too."