CHAPTER 66

BO-YOUNG

I wake up to Jungkook talking on the phone. I can see his shadow pacing on the other side of my door, his voice low as he fervently talks to whoever may be on the other end of the phone call. I can barely make out what he's talking about, other than a few scattered words. I rub my eyes. It's far too early for drama.

It's been a few days since Jungkook 'confessed,' and New Year's is fast approaching. Every day he becomes more suspicious, avoiding the topic of New Year's whenever I bring it up to him. I've noticed other strange things, like him locking his room's door when he goes to work, and kitchen appliances disappearing overnight. He's keeping things from me; I don't know what it is, but he's up to something.

The pacing stops, his shadow right in front of my door. He lightly knocks on it in rapid succession before cautiously opening it. The light floods into the room, effectively blinding me. In the doorway, silhouetted by the backlighting, stands Jungkook. His hair is still messy from waking up, endearingly sticking out in different directions. His phone is remains pressed against his ear, but the line seems quiet. His eyebrows raise when he notices me already looking at him.

"Good morning," he says quietly, his voice still slightly rough from waking up. "I wasn't expecting you to be up."

This time it's my turn to raise my eyebrows.

"Do you often come into my room when I'm asleep?" I ask, not entirely serious but still curious.

"No, but I have lived with you long enough to know that you rarely ever wake up before I have to go to work," he replies, leaning against the doorframe.

He reaches towards the light switch, aiming to turn it on, but before his fingers manage to graze it, I speak.

"You've also lived with me long enough to know that I can and will bite you if you turn that god-forbidden light on," I threaten, glaring at his hand as it hovers above the light switch. Jungkook hums, my threat leaving him unfazed.

"I do not know that," he says daringly before flicking the switch, the light of the ceiling lamp illuminating the room, making me even more blind than I was before.

"Motherfu-" I begin, ready to launch myself at him and attack. Jungkook turns away, walking further into the living room and ignoring my rage. I hear him whistling for a moment before he speaks again.

"I made pancakes. Hurry, or they'll get cold," he says casually. My rage dissipates at the promise of breakfast.

On the kitchen counter, as promised, sits a plate with a hefty stack of pancakes – European style. Next to it is a half-empty bottle of syrup. I pick them up, along with some utensils, and place myself on the living room couch.

I can hear Jungkook bustling about his room for a moment before he emerges, now fully dressed in his work attire. He takes one look at me before saying: "If you make a mess on the couch, you're gonna clean it. I don't want any stains."

"The fact that you assume I haven't already made a mess on multiple occasions means that I've done a good job cleaning," I mutter as he passes by.

"What?" he stops and eyes me.

"Nothing. Have a nice day at work~" I say sweetly, not even averting my eyes from the tv screen. He sighs.

A few minutes later, right as he's opening the front door to leave, I hear Jungkook curse. He jogs through the small apartment and to his room. I can hear him loudly look through his drawers in search of something, though I can't see what. His door is only slightly ajar, not wide enough for me to fit through, unless I suddenly become around as wide as a rabbit- oh.

I put my almost empty plate aside, disregarding it as I quickly make my way into my room. My bones crack and snap as I shift. I navigate my way out of the nightshirt I was wearing and out of my room. My hurried hops pad against the floorboards as I swiftly maneuver through the small opening of the door. I make a b-line to his bed, hiding under it until he leaves.

I realize that I made it just in time as I see Jungkook run out of his room, a slightly scrunched up paper rightly gripped in his hand. I watch as he digs a key out if his pocket and closes the door. I hear a click. Fuck. I didn't think this through.

"I'll be back by 4!" he shouts out before I hear the front door slam shut, leaving me in the silent apartment, more or less trapped in Jungkook's room.

If rabbits could curse, I'd be Gordon Ramsay right now.

I make my way out from under his bed, begrudgingly shifting back and raiding Jungkook's closet for an oversized shirt. Luckily, I find one that reaches my knees.

I try opening the door to find that it is indeed locked.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

I groan.

"Stupid, that is what I am. I am the king of stupid. My brain is small and smooth and nowhere to be found," I lament as I rub my temples. "I might as well be a cat hybrid because curiosity has killed me. I shall starve in this dark room."

As I complain, I look around the room, specifically at the strange new additions to Jungkook's interior decor. Cardboard boxes. Moving boxes. Some opened, some tightly sealed with tape. I approach them, wanting to take a closer look at the writing on the side of one of them. On it reads: "Kitchen Appliances."

I take a deep breath in, hold it for a few seconds, and through gritted teeth, I say: "Motherfucker."