CHAPTER 77

(this somehow got unpublished??)

BO-YOUNG

The shrill bell rings as Jungkook, and I enter the seemingly larger-on-the-inside grocery store. Within seconds, Jungkook has made a beeline towards the snack-aisle. I grab a shopping basket and follow behind him, letting out an exasperated sigh.

Jungkook frivolously throws different small bags of snacks into the basket in my hands, chaotically moving down the aisle like the goblin he is.

"Jungkook. Pray tell, why on earth do we need so many snacks?" I question, looking at the multitude of snacks in the basket.

"Well, Bo-young, I'll have you know that the store won't be open tomorrow, and New Years will be really dull without snacks," he says, emphasizing on 'really'.

I stop in my tracks.

"New years is tomorrow?" I ask, confused. Jungkook shakes his head, which confuses me more.

"New Years is the day after tomorrow, but the store closes a day early to give poor little Jiminie a break. The time between Christmas and New Years is the busiest for the store," he tells me as he walks through the aisles. "Having you here next year will be a huge help."

"Yeah, I sure hope so," I agree.

I take a moment to look around the store, and just as expected, there are more people than I've ever seen here before. Locals, most of whom I've never seen before, crowd the store as they peruse the aisles. The line to the cashier is no better. At least six people stand in a queue with baskets filled to the brim with party foods and other miscellaneous groceries.

Behind the front counter, I spot Jimin. He looks dishevelled, to say the least. He rings people up with determination, yet still, the exhaustion is evident on his face.

My creepy people-watching is cut-off by Jungkook tugging my sleeve.

"Bo-youngie, you voyeur, stop staring at people and let's move," Jungkook teases.

Jimin's tired eyes drift over both Jungkook and me. It takes him a moment to process that we're standing in front of him.

"Bo-young, Jungkook. Welcome," he greets as he begins to ring us up. We greet him back.

From afar, Jimin looks tired and dishevelled, but up close, he looks disastrous.

"Jesus, Jimin. Are you alright?" Jungkook asks, noticing the obvious weariness in Jimin.

"More or less," Jimin replies with a dulled smile. "The only thing keeping me from passing out is the ever-nearing end of my shift."

Both Jungkook and I laugh half-heartedly.

"Don't over-work yourself, Jimin," I say in mild worry. "If you're up for it, we could all celebrate New Years together. If you're too tired and want to stay home alone, that's fine too," I invite. Jimin gives a tired but genuine smile at my proposition.

"I'll think it over. Can I bring a +1?" Jimin asks. Jungkook's eyebrow's shoot up in curiosity and surprise.

"A +1?" Jungkook repeats. "Sure, but who? Do you have a date?" he teases.

"I would answer you, but I need to keep the line moving. I guess you'll just have to wait and find out," Jimin says mysteriously before sending the last item from our basket down the conveyor belt. Jimin waves at us to continue moving, a playful look on his face.

I see Jungkook glare at Jimin fiercely, but he ultimately decides to comply.

We gather our items and leave the store.

It doesn't take a genius to see that Jungkook is engaged in rapt contemplation. The number of times I've had to steer him away from oncoming pedestrians or lampposts due to him being distracted is enough to prove his puzzlement.

"Jungkook, for heaven's sake," I chide as I tug him away from the man he was about to run into.

"He's never had a plus one before," he mutters to himself, his eyes still glazed over as he furrows his brows in thought.

"Get over it already. You'll get to meet whoever it is in two days, so pull yourself together," I say.

Jungkook sighs.

"Bo-young, don't you get it? This is-" he tries to collect his thoughts, "this is momentous. Strange. Unusual. Unheard of."

"I'm sure you're over-reacting," I reply. Jungkook purses his lips and shrugs.

"I may be, but have you considered that perhaps-" he pauses for dramatic effect, "I'm not. Never has he brought anyone to a hangout. He's only dated a few people in his whole life. He lives in a fairly small forest town, so he's never really gotten around."

"That's none of our business," I remind him. "You two didn't really keep in contact for a good long time. Maybe things have changed. What's it to us?"

Jungkook groans.

"You're right," he reluctantly agrees. "I just can't stand it when he gets all mysterious. It's like one second he's the normal, nice, helpful Jimin, and then with the flick of a switch he turns all dark and mysterious."

I hum in agreement.

"You can think about it all you want, but it won't change the fact that you'll have to wait until New Years to find out anything more. Now, please help me with these bags," I say as I unlock the front door of the house.