CHAPTER 34

BO-YOUNG

It was getting late, so both Jungkook and I went to bed shortly after our odd encounter in my room. I lay in bed, listening to the quiet creaking of the house as I stare at the decorated lamp hanging above the foot of my bed. I had slept in a room like this once before. 

It was during the same trip when Grace and I had taken the train towards the seaside. I can't remember where we were going or why, but I remember Grace locking me in my room whilst she took care of some business downstairs. It wasn't her house, but she knew the lady whose it was. 

"Mrs. Yoon is her name. Such a nice woman. I've known her for quite a while. She's recently gone off to China to go get some inspiration. The mid-life crisis is hitting her hard." I remember her saying, sitting down at the end of the bed I was in. As she spoke, she was staring up at the glass lamp hanging in the middle of the room as if it were the single most gorgeous thing she'd seen in her life. 

Grace had noticed me following her eyes to the expensive chandelier. She smiled her lopsided smile and said: "This place is beautiful, but it's all bought with dirty money. Mrs. Yoon wasn't the most lawful of people in her twenties. Don't do what she did, Bo-young. If you do, I'll haunt you." She laughed her same chortling laugh afterward, acting as if she were the pinnacle of comedy despite not having told a joke. She did that a lot. 

The room was very similar to this one. It had the same vintage style furniture, but it all was white as compared to the rich brown mahogany these pieces are made of. Grace had joked that Mrs. Yoon was compensating for her lack of purity by covering her house in white. 

Grace had gone downstairs a few minutes after sitting down to put me in bed. It was barely even seven in the evening, and she told me to go to sleep. She had gotten up, her legs shaking a bit as she stabilized herself, straightening her back as walking out confidently. While the door was open, I could hear people chatting downstairs. It sounded like there were many more people than I had ever encountered in my life. I could hear both women and men chatting amongst themselves, the clanging of utensils mixed in with their conversation. Grace closed the door after giving me a small smile, the distinctive click of a lock coming afterward. I knew she had locked the door. She always locked the door. 

The whistling of the wind pulls me out of my memories. 

With Jungkook, I don't have to hide my ears, I don't need to stay behind locked doors, I get to live fairly normally. I thought all was fine with Grace, but now I see that the life she provided me with was no way to live. 

The house creaks again. I pull my blanket up, covering my neck. This place is nice, but I can't ignore the fact that it's an old house in the middle of the woods. Sure, the woodlands may be sparse, but it doesn't negate the fact that it's creepy as all hell when it's dark. My eyes dart around the room once. When I find nothing, I relax. I'm being paranoid. 

The wind blows again, and the house creaks louder than it did before. I jump, a loud cracking noise emitting from my spine. Before I know it, I transform. I shuffle out of the clothes, which are now splayed out under the covers, and climb on top of the duvet. I huff, curling into the soft blanket, not wanting to transform back. If there were an ax murderer, they'd be much less likely to go for a small bunny. 

My eyes dart to the door. The door handle twists with a small squeak, the large wooden door slowly opening afterward. I let out a small growl, the quiet kind that a frightened rabbit would let out before either fleeing or taking a bite at you. A tall figure walks in, the moonlight not reaching his face. I calm when I hear his voice. 

"Bo-young? Are you okay? I heard cracking," Jungkook asks, looking around the room for me, but to no avail. His eyes eventually land on the small lump on the bed which is me. He sighs, tiredly making his way over to me and picking me up, raising me to his eye level. "Why'd you shift?" he asks me, disregarding the fact that I physically cannot reply to him. I chitter at him. 

Jungkook sits on the side of the bed, holding me under my fuffy rabbit arms as if I were a toddler. 

"Do you want me to leave you alone?" he asks. "Nod for yes, shake for no." I shake my head decisively. I don't want to be left alone in this room with a possible well-hidden ax murderer. 

"Do you want me to give you space to shift back?" he asks. I think for a moment before nodding. The conversation would be much easier when one can actually reply. 

Jungkook sets me down, a tired smile on his face as he yawns. He turns around, facing the closet. My bones crack as I shift again, returning to my most comfortable form. I pull on the nightclothes I was wearing before tapping Jungkook on the shoulder. He sits down on the bed, inviting me to sit next to him. 

"So, care to explain why you shifted?" Jungkook asks. He knows by now that I don't shift unless I have to. He also knows that I do not shift in my sleep. It's going to be hard to lie my way out of this one, so I opt for the honest route. 

"I was spooked by the creaking. I thought that maybe a ghost or a murderer would pop up and harvest my organs," I tell him. 

"Harvest your organs?" he questions. 

"There's good money in organ harvesting," I say, causing Jungkook to chuckle. 

"You think they're trying to profit from murder?" he asks in an amused tone. 

"I don't see why they wouldn't. If I went through all the trouble of killing someone, I'd want to get something out of it," I reason. 

"I'm slightly concerned about how enthusiastically you said that," he laughs. "Organ harvesting ghost murderers. That's definitely a new one."

1093 words