You Want What?

I've spent years learning about the human world. I've studied human behavior, learned the good from the bad, and basically everything else that is required of a good angel. Of course I can't say that I'm perfect.... No, I am not even close. Far from being perfect. I'm the angel that accidentally broke my teacher's wing while learning to fly. I'm the angel that accidentally locked the gateway from heaven to earth. I'm the angel that accidentally let a demon into Heaven, twice.... I'm the--okay, enough. You get it. I'm a failure of an angel, but today, I would not mess up! I would show everyone that I could be just as good an angel as them.

"Gabriel. Hey, Gabriel." Someone whispered into my ear.

I turned my head to see my friend Layla, her golden blonde hair cascading down her shoulders in light waves. She was beautiful, flawless, and graceful. She was the definition of an angel.

"Ah, yeah?"

"It's your turn." Layla said as she pointed to the empty space in front of me.

It was my turn to head down to Earth. I guess I wasn't paying attention, as usual.

"Oh! Right!" I took a step forward and rubbed my hands nervously together.

All I had to do was jump. Jump and extend my wings. I can do it. Just don't mess up. Just don't mess up. Just don't mess up. Just don't mess-and before I could finish my thought, I felt somebody nudge me forward. I lost my balance and tumbled off the edge of the portal into the human world.

Somebody pushed me! They couldn't have waited for just a few more seconds?

I screamed as I fell. The pressure of falling made it hard to untuck my wings, and within seconds, I could already see the Earth. Not good.

Untuck wings! Untuck! Untuck!

I squeezed my eyes shut as I neared the ground, "Please, untuck!!!!" I screamed once again as I finally felt my wings unfold, and, BAM! I struck a tree, and everything faded to black.
~
When I woke up, I was staring down at the ground, my head pounding madly. My vision was a blur. I had twisted my head around to make better sense of where I was, and that was when I realized, I was in a tree. I, an Angel-In-Training, was stuck in a tree. Somehow my wings had snagged on some branches, and one branch in particular, stabbed right through my wing. It was not a pretty sight.

I felt something that I had not  experienced in my life, pain. We don't have pain up there, so this... This was a new experience. Pain was just a word, it meant nothing, until now.

I reached back, doing my best to try to untangle my wing from the branches. When I was finally successful of freeing myself, I lamely fell onto the ground. Thankfully, the tree leaves cushioned my fall. I stared up at the sky for a few seconds, before forcing myself to stand, and when I did, my knees gave out under me. The pain in my wing was terrible; so terrible, that I had to bite down on my lip to keep myself from yelling.

I was back to just laying on the ground. The pain was so immense, that just sitting upright sent an overwhelming shock of dizziness.

I can't just lay here... I needed to see what damage my wing took.

I found that my whole wing was scratched. However, those little cuts, were only half of the damage. A long tear sliced my wing right down the middle, the spot where my wing was pierced by one of the branches. Blood, yes, blood, oozed down my wing. I, Gabriel, was bleeding. I stared dumbfounded, my eyes wide with fear and curiosity.

"Are you okay...?" A timid voice asked.

It wasn't until then, that I realized, a girl was staring at me. A human girl. I panicked for a second, before coming to my senses. She wasn't talking to me. Humans can't see us, there must have been someone behind me.