SIX

Za'niyah

"Hey, Zani !" A deep voice boomed throughout the hallway. "Wait up!"

I turned around to see that it was Bronny.

"It's Za'niyah to you". I corrected him once he caught up to me.

He rolled his eyes before proceeding.

"Za'niyah... can we talk?" He asked with a glint of hope in his eyes.

"What is there to talk about?"

"Us".

"Bronny, I really have to go-"

"Z, please".

I took a deep breath and stared him straight into his eyes.

"No". I stated sternly and walked off to my next class.

I was not going to let him manipulate me again, he's only here to play basketball with Mikey and that's it. I don't want anything to do with him. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even notice that I had bumped into Tyrina.

"Zani !" She whined as she hit the ground.

"I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention". I explained as I helped her up.

"What's wrong with you, boo?" She asked.

"What do you mean?"

She gave me the "I'm not stupid look" and I realized that there was no point in not telling her.

"Bronny". I muttered.

She rolled her eyes. "Did he try to win you back or sum?"

"I don't think so, but he was trying to talk to me".

"And what did he say?" She asked, eyebrows raised.

"I didn't let him talk".

"Good, just stay away from him, he's just a distraction. Besides, you have Mikey; and you know that he's ready to die for you".

I smiled at the thought.

"Now, let's go Mrs Williams, we're late".

"I love you,bestie". I gushed.

"Yeah, whatever, I know you do".

.....................................................................................................

We were able to sneak into the back of our Biology class and catch up with them. I noticed that Tyrina and Jevonte were making googly eyes at each other across the room. I nudged her slightly with my elbow.

"Why are you blushing?" I giggled.

"Girl, I don't blush, I'm black". She retorted slightly embarrassed.

I burst out laughing and she joined in too. Luckily we didn't get caught, the bell rang and we headed out of school to the parking lot. We were almost to my car, when Jevonte approached us.

"He-hey", He stuttered as he looked at Rina, "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"I'll be in the car". I smiled as I strolled towards my car.

I was watching them from my rear view mirror, and they looked so cute together. However, what I saw next took me aback. I knew that my best friend was bold -but not that bold. Jevonte and Rina were literally making out on the school steps. I- 

"Girl, you- is that allowed!" I sputtered as she entered my car.

"I don't know, but I liked it".

"You are actually so crazy", I laughed, "So... you and Jevonte, huh?"

"I guess so, he asked me out, so I hope it goes well".

"I admire your courage, I wish I could be that bold with Mikey". I sighed.

"Z, baby, you are you, and Mikey loves you the way you are".

"I know, but sometimes I feel like I am not trying hard enough to be his girlfriend". I explained, as the school became smaller as I continued to drive away.

"What do you guys do when you're together?" She asked.

"We just chill, we tell each other about how we feel, our secrets, make out a little and just chill some more". 

"Does Mikey complain?"

"No-"

"Then you're doing fine". She beamed. "I'm hungry, lets go to McDonalds' ".

"Okay, let's go then". I chuckled.