4

TJOAIC 4 – EXPRESSIONS OF THE IMPERIAL CONCUBINES ( 嫔妃众相)

According to palace protocol, after imperial concubines received the emperor’s affections, they must pay respects to the empress first thing in the morning. Of course, the emperor would sometimes pity that concubine and relieve her from that duty.

Zhuang Laoyan had gotten herself in said situation. Last night, Emperor Chengxuan had clearly said so himself. But she was no longer the original Wanyi Zhuang. She had wisdom. In the imperial harem, those who acted arrogantly after being favored would suffer a poor outcome. She didn’t have the infamousDaji’s¹ ability to completely ensnare the emperor. It’s better to not copy her anyway, for the future of a calamitous beauty, a wanton seductress of a consort, would be full of despair. 

She dressed appropriately for her rank, not flashy yet not too plain. If one dressed simply in a harem full of ostentatious showboats, one would stand out. Would catch the attention of everyone. 

The empress lived in Jingyang Palace. Since this dynasty’s establishment, every empress had resided there. The current empress was one year Feng Jin’s senior, and did not hold his affection. However, he treated her with respect. Therefore, her position in the imperial harem was stable. What a pity she had only given birth to a daughter who died at the age of two. Since then, the favored imperial concubines stole her limelight. 

Losing favor in the imperial harem was easier than receiving favor. For this reason, every imperial concubine came to watch Zhuang Laoyan pay respects to the empress. Their hearts trembled with unhappiness. She was obviously just a woman with a slightly attractive face. By what means could she attain the emperor’s affection?

“This concubine pays respects to Your Majesty. Long live Your Majesty.” Zhuang Laoyan had arrived right on time. This was considered rule-abiding. She saluted the full ceremony. A beat later, the empress’ personal palace maids approached Zhuang Laoyan and helped her to her feet. She glanced at the noble woman sitting in the main seat. It seemed the empress completely forgot the icy attitude she had shown Zhuang Laoyan in the past. 

“Previously, His Majesty’s personal eunuchs have informed this palace you were relieved from paying respects. Now that you have arrived, hurry and take a seat.” Although the empress wasn’t the most beautiful in the imperial harem, she had the most noble aura, suitable for an empress. A smile, and she seemed proper, benevolent, and magnanimous. 

“His Majesty and Your Majesty’s compassion is this concubine’s blessing. Yet these past couple days, this concubine felt guilty for failing to pay respects to Your Majesty. Therefore, today this concubine has inconvenienced Your Majesty. Asking Your Majesty, the empress, not to mind,” said Zhuang Laoyan, a cold smile settling within her heart. What ‘relieved from paying respects?’ Why did she not say those words before she saluted the full ceremony? The only thing the empress had competed for and won was the reputation of a benevolent and magnanimous woman. She must be itching with boredom.  

“The fact that you have done this makes this palace glow with joy.” The empress once again called for someone to present Zhuang Laoyan a gift, encouraging the other imperial concubines’ envy.  

After a moment of conversing among themselves, the women in the room heard a eunuch’s announcement. “Noble Consort Shu has arrived.Xiuyi² Su has arrived.”  

Zhuang Laoyan rose from her seat. She watched as the two gorgeous women slowly and gracefully entered the room, floating by like a cloud. The woman in front wore a pink blouse and a wrap-around skirt. She looked to be in her twenties. Her figure was akin to a willow, thin and flexible, her gaze filled with a noble and arrogant air. It was clear with a glance that the emperor highly doted on her.