3

TJOAIC 3 – GENTLE (温柔)

If asked whether Zhuang Laoyan could claw her way back up, a sizable majority of the imperial harem would shake their heads. Beautiful as she might be, she lacked brains. As such, how long could she keep the emperor’s affection? 

Yet who knew the emperor would in fact bestow her gifts? Those women who learned of this felt their moods plummet.

“His Majesty has actually bestowed that pair of crystal hairpins to Wanyi Zhuang,” said the empress, stroking her prayer beads, her expression calm like the still surface of a lake. “Looks like that Wanyi Zhuang still has some tricks up her sleeve. This palace has underestimated her. Forget it. Heyu, send one of this palace’s bolts of satin to Taoyu Pavilion.”

“Yes,” said Heyu, taking care in leaving. As she turned around, she still did not see the empress’ expression change at the slightest.

The Taoyu Pavilion of today was more festive than previous. In one lump sum,Shang Palace Bureau¹returned Zhuang Laoyan everything they had skimped on her in the past. As if they had forgotten how they treated her a few days ago. Zhuang Laoyan also pretended to forget. She did not act arrogantly in front of those eunuchs, merely instructing them where to place the items. But such a nonchalant attitude inspired more fear within the eunuchs’ hearts.

Returning what’s stolen should right all the wrongs, making bygones be bygones. Of course, a bit of unwillingness was to be expected. However, this Zhuang Laoyan, a woman who had once again snatched the emperor’s favor, did not react poorly to them at all. Her mentality had changed, it seemed. In the imperial palace, a master like this could not be offended. For the more gentle a woman seemed, the more malicious her heart.

“Master, it seems Her Majesty, the empress heard that your health has recovered, and is sending a few bolts of satin as celebration,” said Yunxi. “Noble Consort Shu, Consort Ning, Zhaorong Xu, and Noble Imperial Concubine Yan have also sent gifts.”  

“Receive those as well. You all should know how to thank them.” Zhuang Laoyan did not believe those women were here to forge a relationship with her, to pull her to their side. At most, she feared they were acting out a play. They were warning her that she had received an insignificant amount of favor from the emperor. In their eyes, she was just a small Wanyi that could be crushed at any moment. On the other hand, they were the superiors merely sending small trinkets to a subordinate.

“Yes,” said Yunxi. She turned around and gave Fu Bao a look. The two did not speak and directly went on their way to the storeroom, making sure not to place the items in plain sight.

Qianzheng Palace. 

After lunchtime, Feng Jin continued to read his memorials. A while later, an eunuch entered the room with a tray of name tags. There were those made of silver, copper, and wood. Three materials for different group ranks of imperial concubines.  

Originally, he hadn’t been in the mood to choose a woman for the night. Before he could dismiss the eunuch, however, he recalled the noon events at a certain peach forest. The pitiful appearance of Wanyi Zhuang. If Feng Jin were to be honest, he had found her slightly genuine and adorable. A single glance, and he knew this: her pitiful appearance stirred happiness in his heart, more than those other beauties who would glance back with a smile.  

He slowly picked up a wooden name tag. “Tonight let’s go to Taoyu Pavilion.”

“Understood,” said the eunuch, glancing at the nametag. The words “Taoyu Pavillion’s Wanyi Zhuang” glanced back at him. Looks like Taoyu Pavilion will have a lot of attention these next couple days.