43

TJOAIC 43 – WHAT’S THE INTENTION? (用意为何?)

It wasn’t a secret in the harem that Noble Consort Shu had been permitted to visit her paternal family. The Su family wasn’t the most distinguished in the court. However, because the emperor had specially given Noble Consort Shu this privilege, the court officials watched them more carefully.    

Although it’s said that the court and the imperial harem could not interoperate, sometimes this would happen. If one put it more seriously, they were on the same boat.

In court, the Zhao family was somewhat dejected. Previously, their niece from the Sun family had framed the emperor’s favored daughter of the Zhuang family, causing the emperor to punish the Sun household. Even the Zhao family received his indifference. Now the emperor had given the Su family’s daughter, whom they had previously suppressed, special permission to visit her family. Once this happened, the Zhao family would truly be unable to show their faces.  

Everyone in the imperial harem watched as the empress lost prestige. And they wondered whether she would cause trouble for Chongyi Zhao. After all, wasn’t it because of her that the empress faced such embarrassment? What a pity that the empress had been in the imperial harem for many years, and would not do something like this out of impulse. In this period, other than often sending people to ask about Chongyi Zhao’s health, she gave her many nourishing items. She showcased the virtuousness of an empress thoroughly, somewhat disappointing those who craved to watch a show.

The date that Noble Consort Shu could visit her family was set to the sixth day of the next month. In this period, some of the lower-ranking imperial concubines came forward to curry favor with her. The other imperial concubines watched her with an indifferent gaze, treating this matter as if it had nothing to do with them.  

In these past few days, Zhuang Laoyan had watched the movements of the palace. For some reason, she recalled in her previous life a masterpiece of a story. One that detailed visiting one’s family as an imperial concubine. Such a privilege seemed grand, but it was merely a state of flourishing before the final moment. In recent times, the emperor did not treat the empress much differently than he had from the past. But Zhuang Laoyan suspected she was upset the emperor allowed Noble Consort Shu to visit her family.    

In this imperial harem, every woman was pitiful. Even if their hands were stained with blood, they weren’t truly malicious to the extreme. Even if they penetrated deeply into the imperial harem, were favored immensely throughout, and seemed to have an unlimited future, they were all the sacrifices of their families, exchanging their lives for their families’ stability and perhaps glory and splendor.   

“Truly a pity.” Blowing at the tea leaves upon the surface of her tea, Zhuang Laoyan raised her head and sighed. There weren’t many imperial concubines without mental burden like her remaining. These beauties who were delicate as flowers and refined as precious jade were squandered like this on a man. Truly such a waste. If this happened in her previous life, wouldn’t other men rain curses on this kind of man?  

“Master, Her Majesty the empress sent people to pass a message: during noon, there will be a banquet in the imperial gardens to admire the chrysanthemums and eat crab. Your honored self has been invited,” said Tingzhu as she entered the room. She saw her master leaning against the beside, holding a teacup as she fell into her thoughts. As such, Tingzhu continued softly, “Many of the masters have been invited. This slave has heard that if His Majesty finishes his government affairs, he might also attend.”     

“Admire the chrysanthemums and eat crab at this time?” Zhuang Laoyan gazed at the bright sunshine outside. Right now wasn’t the time when chrysanthemums bloomed the most magnificently. Nor was it the best time to eat crab. Why would the empress do this?