81

The hairpin was delivered to the empress’ palace, and the empress did not allow any news regarding this to spread. However, Xihe Palace received many rewards from the empress the next day.  

Zhuang Laoyan gazed at the palace silk, pearls, jade artifacts, and precious medicinal ingredients that were presented to her, a smile on her lips. This time, the empress was truly enraged. Regardless of what the empress’ standpoint was, at the very least, her anger could not lose to Zhuang Laoyan’s in this matter.  

The empress’ position was similar to hers. As such, there wouldn’t be that many problems for certain things.  

“Your Highness, the Hanshi festival will arrive in a few days. This slave heard that there’ll be swings set up on that day, and dancers will perform swing dances…” The meaning behind Yunxi’s words was evident: she worried for Zhuang Laoyan.

Outside the palace, there were many activities to do during the Hanshi Festival. However, the women of the imperial harem could do none of these. They couldn’t take a spring hike outside, or play cuju. And it was even more embarrassing for them to discard their image and play tug-of-war. Thus, the swings during the Hanshi Festival was a good tactic for the imperial concubines to attract the emperor’s attention. At present, Zhuang Laoyan’s injury had yet to heal completely. Let’s not talk about swinging. One would fear she could not even kowtow and burn incense toward the direction of the imperial tomb.  

“Appreciating an opera about half-immortals is also interesting. Why must I pretend to be one? “Zhuang Laoyan picked up a loquat fruit from a plate that had already been peeled and had its pit removed. Ate it. “On the swing, one can see the scenery unique to it. Off the swing, one can see the scenery unique to that as well.” 

Since the Hanshi Festivalhad the words “cold” and “food” in it, naturally, people must not eat hot food. Zhuang Laoyan woke up early in the morning and had a few pieces of cold pastries. Drank a few sips of juice the little personal kitchen had squeezed long ago. And she found the pastries somewhat greasy. After rinsing her mouth with water, she sat before a mirror and dressed and groomed herself.   

Ever since she had been injured, Zhuang Laoyan had not gone to the empress’ palace. First, it was because she had lost a lot of blood. Second, it was because her head would ache should she move. She didn’t want to socialize with them, lest her head hurt.  

Watching as Yunxi nimbly arranged her hair into a cross bun, Zhuang Laoyan yawned. Propped her chin with a hand in a lazy manner, until she felt something cold on her forehead. At that moment, she opened her eyes. Reflected in the mirror was a slender forehead ornament, and hanging right at the center of her brows was a ruby the size of pinky nail. It contrasted well with her fair skin, giving off a beauty that could not be put into words.     

Although she had dressed up beautifully today, it wasn’t to the point of garish. It truly matched her current status. At the very least, this was her first time in public after that case with the kite. It wouldn’t be suitable if she dressed up too impoverished or garish.  

“There should be many masters at the imperial garden today. And the masters the emperor had reprimanded previously should attend as well.” Yunxi inserted a hairpin with golden thread winding along a pearl into Zhuang Laoyan’s hair, before withdrawing her hand. A smile on her lips, she curtsied. “Respectfully congratulating Your Highness for once again receiving honor and favor.”  

Zhuang Laoyan picked up a jade bracelet. Slipped it on. Then she rose to her feet, smiling. “You have such a sweet mouth.”

As imperial concubines, they did not have the qualifications to burn incense and kowtow to the previous emperors alone. They could only line up by rank and do so together. Afterward came the event all the imperial concubines waited a long time for: the swings.