64

Sorry , I had mistakenly published chapter 63 twice.

TJOAIC 64 - DISCOVERY (发现)

The next day, Zhuang Laoyan woke up early in the morning. The emperor was still lying by her side. Noticing his eyelashes shifting a hint, she knew he was already awake. However, she did not know why he had yet to open his eyes.  

She carefully reached out and gently touched the emperor's ear. Then retracted her hand at once and screwed her eyes tight, putting on the appearance of sleeping soundly.   

For a moment, the warmth on his ear caused Feng Jin to keep his eyes closed. A while later, he slowly opened his eyes, expression rather complicated.  

In his youth, a palace maid by his side had once told him about a custom in her hometown: before the husband left the residence, the wife would touch his ears, expressing her concern and blessings. Judging by Zhuang Laoyan's action today, perhaps she also knew this custom?

He looked at the woman who had her eyes shut tight, who dared not look at him. Feng Jin slowly sat up. Lifted open the net-curtains so that the palace maids and eunuchs who had been waiting at the side could help him dress. Afterward, he saw that Zhuang Laoyan had sat up in bed.   

"When did Your Majesty wake up?" A trace of unease appeared in Zhuang Laoyan's expression. However, she tried her best to conceal it. "This concubine slept very well."   

"When We woke up, We noticed you were still asleep and did not rouse you." Feng Jin stretched his arms wide to let the palace maids adjust his clothes. He noticed Zhuang Laoyan's expression relax. In rather high spirits, he approached the side of the bed. Bent down his head a hint as he looked into her eyes, until the other party averted her gaze with a blush. He stood up straight and smiled. "We think beloved concubine is growing more and more adorable."  

This guy's teasing this grandma again!  

In a good mood, Feng Jin led a crowd of servants out. Zhuang Laoyan's fine black hair was let down on her shoulders. She bowed at the front doors, watching as they left. When she could no longer see the imperial sedan, she turned around and returned to the chamber, sitting down before the dressing table.       

"Tingzhu, what kind of rumors are there regarding yesterday's matter?" Zhuang Laoyan let Tingzhu and Yunxi set her hair as they pleased, selecting jewelry from the dressing box.

"There are many rumors floating around in the palace. The strangest one was that that palace maid died unjustly, and the blue fire her body emanated was her resentment." Tingzhu did not dare say too much, fearing that Zhuang Laoyan would grow afraid. "However, for now no one dared to point fingers at Your Highness."  

"It's not that no one threw dirty water at me," said Zhuang Laoyan, sighing. She touched one of her temples. "His Majesty stayed overnight last night, which shows which side he chose. The people scheming against me aren't able to do anything."  

"This slave has also heard that early this morning, General Manager Gao had a few servants caned to death. Could it be that His Majesty..." After a moment of careful thought, Tingzhu found her guess likely and stopped traversing on this topic. She helped Zhuang Laoyan arrange her hair into a flying Apsaras¹ bun. "No matter what it is, it doesn't have anything to do with us.

A smile graced Zhuang Laoyan's lips. She continued to let Yunxi and Tingzhu fiddle with her hair.  

She did not believe that something abnormal was actually going on. Every single time something strange had occurred in an especially conspicuous way, for the most part it was done by someone with a hidden agenda.