97

“Your Highness Consort Zhao, His Majesty sent this slave to deliver some things.” Gao Dezhong saluted Zhuang Laoyan. He noticed that she sat in the seat of honor in an indolent manner. A smile from ear to ear, he said, “This slave will pay respects to your honored self first.”  

“Eunuch Gao need not be so polite.” Zhuang Laoyan had Tingzhu bring an embroidered stool to him. Since he declined it, she didn’t insist. “What did His Majesty send?”  

“Responding to Your Highness, His Majesty knows Your Highness is fond of crabs. The Department of the Palace just received some first-rate crab, and had this slave send some to your palace. Moreover, there are new pearls, agate, and eyebrow pens. If Your Highness likes them, then take them. If you do not like them, this slave will send them back to the Department of the Palace.”  

Zhuang Laoyan looked at the crowd of palace maids and court eunuchs behind him, who carried those items. She could not help but smile. “There’s so much. Does His Majesty want me to get cross-eyed?”    

“Your Highness, the Chinese Mitten crabs have already been delivered to the personal kitchen,” said Tingzhu. “The other food ingredients that were sent over have been stored away too.”  

Zhuang Laoyan nodded. Then she faced Gao Dezhong again. “Did the emperor say anything else?”  

“His Majesty also said that if Your Highness is in the mood, there will be a newly-arranged song and dance performance in Qianzheng Palace in a little while, crafted by the Music Department.” Gao Dezhong hesitated, before continuing, “His Majesty said he knew Your Highness disliked operas, but that you would probably like this performance.”  

Seeing his normal-looking expression, Zhuang Laoyan knew he felt embarrassed about directly talking about her tacky interest. She smiled. “Thank you for the trouble, Eunuch Gao. This palace understands. After dressing up a bit, this palace will be on my way.” 

Gao Dezhong was too afraid to even speak. He did not leave, merely standing in a corner watching as Zhuang Laoyan entered her bedroom.  

The furnishing in Xihe Palace was not at all sumptuous, with none of the items breaking protocol by surpassing what was allowed for her rank. Still, everything was arranged with much comfort in mind. It made Gao Dezhong, someone who had witnessed how the imperial concubines privately schemed, even more careful toward Consort Zhao. Ordinary imperial concubines would only be careful of their words and actions. But she was even attentive on using furnishing that was suitable for her rank. A woman like this would not be as simple as she appeared. The more a woman was capable of handling everything, the more complex her schemes usually were. Let alone, this woman grabbed possession of a large portion of the emperor’s heart.    

Even if he could not see through the emperor’s heart, Gao Dezhong should understand his temperament a little. For him, women were only pampered, not loved. It was even less likely that he would spend a lot of thought in coaxing them. However, the emperor recently did spend a lot of energy and effort on Consort Zhao. The emperor did not even care when the empress dowager showed discontentment toward Consort Zhao’s promotion to consort.   

 In fact, he refused the empress dowager’s suggestion yesterday, and now bestowed many things to Xihe Palace. Whether the empress dowager could accept this was a mystery.  

“Your Highness, this apricot-colored one is not bad,” said Yunxi, holding a dress the shade of apricot with wide sleeves.  

Zhuang Laoyan glanced at it. “Was this sent by Her Majesty the empress two days ago?”  

This wide-sleeved and long apricot-colored dress was indeed splendid. A look, and it made one want to put it on. It went to show that the empress spent a lot of thought on Zhuang Laoyan’s things.