36

TJOAIC 36 – UNEXPECTED EVENTS OFTEN OCCUR (时时有意外)

In this life, Zhuang Laoyan wasn’t afraid of anything, except scholarly people who thought themselves better than others. Actually, this wasn’t the thing she feared the most. The most frightening thing was meeting people who pretended to scholarly and well-read.  

“Master, has your honored self heard the recent rumors in the palace?” 

During the evening meal, Zhuang Laoyan slowly sipped fresh fish soup with tender bamboo shoots. She watched as Yunxi approached her with a smile. And she wiped the corners of her mouth with a handkerchief. “What rumors?”  

“This slave has heard that after your honored self left the bamboo forest, His Majesty had originally wanted to give Zhaorong Xu a new residence; but because he noticed how fond she was of the bamboo forest, he changed his mind.” Yunxi could not help but reveal a bit of amusement in her voice. “Who knows if Zhaorong Xu still likes the bamboo forest right now?”  

The corners of Zhuang Laoyan’s lips quirked upwards just a hint. She was pretty sure that the emperor could not stand Zhaorong Xu’s scholarly and untouchable act. And that was why he had used the bamboo forest to deal with her. “Who spread this rumor?”  

“The whole harem already knows this. Many people are enjoying this joke.” Yunxi washed her hands. Approached Zhuang Laoyan to pick some food and place it into her bowl. “In the first place, this slave thought this Zhaorong Xu was a dull person. Many in the harem should be discontent with her. There are numerous people who were waiting for her to make a fool out of herself.”  

“True learned women would arouse envy and hatred from others. Women who pretend to be scholarly, on the other hand, inspire disgust from others. In the imperial harem, these two types of women would live complicated lives.” A faint smile bloomed on Zhuang Laoyan’s lips. “It doesn’t matter which category Zhaorong Xu falls under. As long as the joke is about her, the members of the harem would be happy to see it.”  

“What ‘true scholarly women?’” said Tingzhu with a snicker. She had entered the imperial palace earlier than them, and had served a different master before. Naturally, she had heard many rumors regarding the harem. “This slave has heard that the father of this Zhaorong Xu is only a prefecture magistrate. Ever since His Majesty caught sight of her graceful bearing in the rain, she had on this perpetual sorrowful appearance. If it weren’t for the fact that her appearance is only slightly inferior to that of Lady Shi of the West¹, one would fear she would also have to pretend to be ill.”  

After hearing Tingzhu’s words, Zhuang Laoyan truly sighed. This Zhaorong Xu didn’t have it easy. To pretend to be a scholarly woman, one must have a thick face and a lot of mental endurance.   

That night, Feng Jin did not yet flip a nametag. After going through all the proposals and memorials, he browsed some other books.  

Gao Dezhong approached him with a tray. In a low voice, he said, “Your Majesty, Zhaorong Xu of Changtian House has sent something over.”  

“Oh?” Feng Jin flipped to the next page. Without lifting his head, he asked, “What is it?”  

“A sachet that has the fragrance of bamboo,” replied Gao Dezhong softly. 

Feng Jin grunted in acknowledgement. The hand that was flipping the pages of the book stilled. He glanced up at Gao Dezhong, and the latter quickly drew nearer a few steps.

Lying on top of the tray was indeed an exquisite little sachet. It was bright yellow, a few realistic stalks of bamboo embroidered onto it. A glance, and others would think it real.