57

TJOAIC 57 – FAVOR (宠爱)

The current situation was somewhat complicated. Zhuang Laoyan, Cairen Kong, and Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang weren’t very close. So much so that none of them knew what the others were thinking.  

Let’s not talk about the fact that this was the imperial harem. If some benefit was involved, there would be fighting and scheming. She did not believe that there were such things as sisterly affection in the harem. The Ye family sisters were an example of this.  

It seemed Feng Jin did not care about Cairen Kong and Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang. Once he saw how shy Zhuang Laoyan appeared, he smiled as he played with her fair hand. “Don’t say that We are not concerned about you. After the new year, We will promote the harem greatly. How could you participate in the event with such an appearance?”    

Did the emperor mean he would promote Xiuyi Zhao again after the new year? Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang was astonished. Xiuyi Zhao’s speed of promotion this year already shocked others. It went to show how much the emperor favored her. Now, she would even be promoted after the new year. Such a thing truly was a miracle in the imperial harem.

After Cairen Kong had heard those words, her eyes glowed with a strange brilliance. She looked down, hiding her determination.  

Zhuang Laoyan herself found this surprising. She had expected that the emperor would promote her because of her miscarriage, but never had she expected to be included in the huge promotion ceremony after the new year.  

Gradually, she came to a possibility. Perhaps she was the emperor’s secret weapon in this battlefield that was the harem. Noble Consort Shu was used to go against the empress. And she and Noble Imperial Concubine Yan were used to go against Noble Consort Shu. If it weren’t for the fact that she was a great actress and showed up often in front of him, perhaps she wouldn’t even have the chance to be a secret weapon.    

Sometimes, she would think, what would happen if the emperor fell in love with someone? But as soon as she remembered this was the imperial harem and not a romantic drama on TV, she recalled an important fact: even if women were nosy, they must learn not to be excessive.   

“Your Majesty, this concubine does not have the qualifications…” Zhuang Laoyan’s eyes were red. The hand in the emperor’s grasp trembled slightly.  

“Just set your mind at rest and recover. We cherish you dearly. There’s no other reason, so don’t think too much.” Feng Jin patted the back of her hand, wanting her to understand that he wasn’t just compensating her.  

Emperors weren’t familiar with something like consoling others. This act of trying to hide something yet having it exposed in the end. These things that should not be said but still were purposely said. Just how dishonest was this person?

As soon as Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang caught sight of Zhuang Laoyan’s smiling-through-tears appearance, she felt that Zhuang Laoyan’s promotion wasn’t something she should be envious about. At the very least, for an imperial concubine who had just miscarried and loved the emperor wholeheartedly, such a compensation was hurtful.    

All of a sudden, she lost interest in looking at this scene, a scene of a woman loving a man but the man being heartless. Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang rose to her feet and saluted. “It seems Your Majesty and Xiuyi Zhao have more matters to discuss. This concubine remembers there are still things to attend to, and will return first.”    

Cairen Kong also stood and asked to be dismissed. Feng Jin did not urge them to stay. After the two had left, he said to Gao Dezhong, who was by his side, “We will stay overnight at Xiuyi Zhao’s residence.”