96

At this point in the banquet, few people still had the mind to dine. Zhuang Laoyan felt as though the imperial concubines could see right through her. Originally, she expected the emperor to promote her one rank; it never crossed her mind that he would be so generous and promote her to a consort. This action of the emperor made her feel like her hard work these days had not been in vain.

"This palace has always found Consort Zhao good-looking and intelligent. And that, since early on, the position of xianrong would be wronging her. It's reasonable and fair for the emperor to promote her today," said the empress, as if she were not aware of the thoughts and moods of those present. A smile graced her lips. "This palace will congratulate His Majesty and Consort Zhao here in advance."  

Zhuang Laoyan rose to her feet. Curtsied to the empress. In a virtuous, polite, and modest manner, she said, "This concubine is terrified of the praise."

"You are excellent. It makes sense that the emperor dotes on you," said the empress, smiling. She bestowed a few things to Zhuang Laoyan, merely saying they were congratulatory gifts.  

Feng Jin watched this action of the empress, yet did not have much of a reaction. Softly, he rubbed the decorative designs on the edge of his wine cup, not a word escaping his lips.  

Gao Dezhong, who was waiting at the side, looked up. He took in the expressions of the masters. Following that, he lowered his head again without a sound. As a court eunuch who had served by the emperor's side for many years, he naturally knew well what the emperor's interests and likes were. Consort Zhao's favor at present would not change. Her Majesty the empress was intelligent. Giving the emperor face now was the best plan.  

As for what the empress would do in private, it wasn't something a eunuch like him was capable of thinking about. Same for the topic of whom was favored in the harem. He was only a head eunuch by the emperor's side. Regarding who was favored in the harem, what did that have to do with him?  

Zhuang Laoyan lifted a cup and took a light sip. Within was first-rate peach blossom wine. Mild and fragrant when entering the mouth. Delightful. Compared to ordinary wine, it was less strong, yet extremely suitable for women.  

"Your Highness Consort Zhao likes this peach blossom wine?" asked Noble Consort Shu, voice as gentle and tender as ever. Her expression seemed forever gentle.  

In Zhuang Laoyan's impression of her, she never seemed to have another expression. Other than smiling regularly, the Noble Consort Shu of her memories would lightly smile. Every word and action carried an unspeakable tenderness and grace. Just like now.  

"It's delicious. This concubine will drink some more." Zhuang Laoyan returned her smile. Turned her head and saw the emperor looking at Noble Consort Shu.  

"We remember Noble Consort Shu also likes peach blossom wine." Feng Jin's gaze was upon the woman in question. He smiled. "In a little while, Shangshi Bureau will deliver some to your palace."    

"Many Thanks, Your Majesty. Since Younger Sister Consort Zhao is also fond of the wine, why not have Shangshi Bureau send some to Younger Sister's residence too?"  

"She doesn't need any." The emperor lifted his wine cup. "Consort Zhao isn't like you. She can't control herself when it comes to eating. If anything good is given to her, she would most likely waste it."  

After hearing those words, Noble Consort Shu did not speak, the smile on her face dimming ever so slightly. The emperor's words belittled Zhuang Laoyan on the surface, yet how could she be unaware that the emperor was protecting Zhuang Laoyan? He was merely afraid she would get drunk and harm her body. What was that about wasting it? Of those first-rate Sichuan and Suzhou embroidery works, and all kinds of precious gems and famous paintings, many of them were sent to Xihe Palace.