93

The Zhuang Laoyan who had her knees struck by arrows looked at Miss Xu, expression calm. Looked at the other party’s eyes full of hate. At that moment, she smiled. “Back then, you took the initiative to chat with this palace, and from start to finish, this palace did not say anything poor about you. You merely blamed me for your feelings of unresignedness.” 

The hatred in Miss Xu’s eyes slowly transformed into an unspeakable desolation. But it quickly vanished. Still arrogant, she looked at Zhuang Laoyan, as if even after she had lost power, she still wouldn’t bow her head to her.  

With view of Miss Xu’s current attitude, Zhuang Laoyan suddenly thought,This sort of Miss Xu genuinely has a noble and virtuous bearing. What a pity there’ll be no one appreciating it anymore.  

Looking at the Miss Xu who was forcing herself to be calm, Zhuang Laoyan was no longer in the mood to talk to her. She and her personal attendants turned around to leave, not sparing the other person another glance.  

Why should she give any more looks at someone destined to fall into dire straits in the harem?  

“Your Highness, this slave finds Noble Lady Qian strange,” said Tingzhu, supporting Zhuang Laoyan’s hand. Then she said in a lower voice, “Zhaorong… Miss Xu has never gotten along with her. So why didn’t she guard against Miss Xu’s schemes?”    

“Miss Xu was merely beaten at her own game,” said Yunxi, scanning their surroundings. Noticing that no one could hear them clearly from where they were, she continued, “This slave has long since felt that this Noble Lady Qian isn’t someone easy to deal with. After entering the palace for a short time, she was promoted.”  

Zhuang Laoyan turned her head to look at the plaque that hung above Changtian House’s main doors. The three large characters that read “Changtian House” were full of vitality and imposing. Emperor Chengxuan had personally written them for Miss Xu. Now, the master of the residence had changed, yet the plaque still hung there as before.  

This was the biggest mockery of the emperor’s favor.    

She boarded her sedan, listened as a court eunuch dragged out the word “rise.” Zhuang Laoyan and her entourage grew farther and farther from Changtian House. When she looked back again, she only saw the vague image of the emerald-green bamboo forest.  

“Stop!”  

At present, there were very few people in the harem who dared block Zhuang Laoyan’s way. Even the empress’ personal attendants treated her courteously. Now that someone had suddenly obstructed her path, Zhuang Laoyan found it such a novel experience.  

The corners of her lips faintly curving upward, she sized up that person. Then, Zhuang Laoyan tilted her head a little. “Isn’t this Second Prince? This palace heard that Second Prince is studying the books of the sages. Why do you have the time to stroll around right now?”  

“If it wasn’t for a poisonous woman like you, why would Imperial Father reprimand me?!” Second Prince stuck a hand out and jabbed a finger toward Zhuang Laoyan, who sat high above on her sedan. “They were right. You are a fox spirit!”   

As an imperial concubine, wasn’t being scolded as a fox spirit a testament to her success? But apart from the empress, who in the harem wasn’t a fox spirit? Could it be that the other imperial concubines were more noble?  

“It seems copying books hasn’t done anything for Second Prince.” Zhuang Laoyan gestured with her hand, and the eunuchs set down her sedan. She approached Second Prince until a distance of three steps separated them. Said in a low voice, “Was it Liangyi Hu who taught you to be like this?” Despite her words and tone, a gentle smile of an elder was on her face, and she reached out to touch the top of Second Prince’s head.