98

The autumn rain lasted the whole night. When Zhuang Laoyan roused, she felt that the weather had already cooled. She put on the cloak Tingzhu had presented to her. Took in a deep breath. “When did the emperor leave?”  

“Your Highness, His Majesty left less than one hour ago. He noticed you were deeply asleep, so had us servants keep quiet to not wake you.” A moment of hesitation. Then Tingzhu noticed Zhuang Laoyan had a rosy complexion and seemed well. She said, “Recently, Your Highness did not have an imperial physician perform a regular pulse examination for you. Should we summon an imperial physician to do that?”      

Slightly, Zhuang Laoyan frowned. Following that, she said, “We’ll discuss this again after paying respects to Her Majesty the empress.” Indeed, she had slept deeply during the morning, so much so that she had not been aware when the emperor slipped out of bed. Despite this, she wanted to be very careful when it came to imperial physicians.

“Your Highness mustn’t be angry. This slave knows that your honored self dislikes taking medicine. However, Tingzhu only has good intentions,” said Yunxi, carrying a bowl of warm milky broth into the room with both hands. She smiled from ear to ear. “You haven’t had anything yet since getting out of bed. Have some heated milky broth to warm the stomach.”  

Zhuang Laoyan drank a few sips. The flavor of dried fruit concealed the gamy scent of milk. And she took a few more sips.  

Placing the bowl down, Zhuang Laoyan yawned. She sat before a mirror, allowing a few palace maids to arrange her hair.

Quite a few boxes sat in front of her. Within were all sorts of pearls and jewels. Her gaze flitted across those many boxes, until it finally landed on a hairpin with flowing clouds and a butterfly. Zhuang Laoyan reached out. Picked it up. Then she handed it to a palace maid behind her. “This hairpin matches today’s outfit well.”  

Once her hair had been arranged, Zhuang Laoyan rose to her feet. Glanced at the dazzling sight before her: the main hall of Qianzheng Palace’s wing meant for the emperor’s slumber. She gave Tingzhu her hand. “Let’s go and pay respects to Her Majesty the empress. One would fear we will be late today.”       

In Jingyang Palace, the empress sat upright in her golden phoenix chair, which was decorated with magical clouds. Below her sat and stood many imperial concubines. Except that in the row right under hers, there were three vacant seats. Those present dared not look at those seats, and the empress’ smile did not appear too good.

Everyone knew that those seats represented high positions. At present, there were only four imperial concubines that were of the consort rank and above. But today, three out of the four had yet to come pay respects to the empress.  

On the contrary, Noble Consort Xian took a few more looks at those three vacant seats. “It rained all night yesterday, the weather gradually cooling. Your Majesty the empress should be more careful of your health.”  

After hearing those words, the empress smiled. “This palace has always been in good health. May the sisters present take better care of yourselves.”

“Younger Sisters Noble Consort Shu, Consort Rou, and Consort Zhao are all delicate. Who knows if they caught a cold last night?” Noble Consort Xian had said the words that the other women dared not say.    

A smile on her lips, the empress allowed her own gaze to fall upon her temporarily. “Yesterday, Consort Zhao served the emperor at Qianzheng Palace. In all likelihood, she is still tired.”  

To which Noble Consort Xian smiled as well. Yet, she slowly shifted her gaze to the others in the room.     

Outside, Zhuang Laoyan and Consort Rou rushed toward Jingyang Palace from the left and right respectively, pausing at the same time at the doors.