47

TJOAIC 47 – THE TENDERNESS OF THE EMPEROR (帝王的温柔 )

The next day, Zhuang Laoyan rode her sedan to the empress’ residence to pay respects. Just as she had arrived at the front gates of the residence, a few low-ranked imperial concubines arrived in a group. As soon as they saw Zhuang Laoyan, they approached her to greet her, more deferential than in the past.

“These younger sisters need not be so polite. We are sisters after all.” Zhuang Laoyan disembarked from her sedan, gesturing for them to stand. No one could sense even a trace of arrogance from her, but none of those present truly believed Chongyu Zhao was this kind.  

“That Elder Sister Chongyi Zhao takes care of us younger sisters, it is natural that we younger sisters will not forget our roles,” said the young lady standing at the front in a deferential manner.  

Zhuang Laoyan’s gaze fell upon that young lady. She wasn’t old. Although she was pretty, in this imperial harem she could not be considered eye-catching. Her words were filled with the intention to curry favor and an implication that could not be said aloud. 

“Greetings to Chongyi Zhao.”  

The voice coming from Zhuang Laoyan’s side made her realize what this cairen in front of her had meant in those words before. The corners of her lips slightly tilted upward. Her tone was more gentle than usual. “Cairen Ma.”  

Cairen Ma glanced at her palace maid who had greeted Zhuang Laoyan. In an extremely reluctant manner, she curtsied and paid respects. She lowered her head in a flash and felt as if the gazes of all the women present were full of ridicule, making it even harder to bear. Never had she expected that in merely one night, she would be demoted from a jieyu to a cairen. She could only strive to endure.    

“Enough, it’s getting late. We sisters should enter and pay respects to Her Majesty the empress.” Zhuang Laoyan wasn’t as foolish as to make things hard for Jieyu Ma at the front doors of the empress’ abode. She wanted the empress to think her mind pure, and also didn’t want the emperor to find her willful and stupid. In this world, every man had this common failing: they did not want women to be too smart to control, or too stupid to present in public.     

Allowing the women by her side to leave with smiles of mockery, Cairen Ma stood in place. She let the cold morning breeze scrape her cheeks, pain in its wake.     

Noble Consort Shu arrived at the empress’ abode neither early nor late.  As she disembarked from her sedan with the support of her palace maid, she glanced with her peripheral vision at Cairen Ma, who stood in a corner. The corners of her lips tilted upward, as if she had just seen a joke. She stepped through the front doors without pause, totally ignoring Cairen Ma’s greeting.   

Once she had entered the main chamber, she purposely looked at Chongyi Zhao, who sat three seats away from the empress to the right. After she had paid respects to the empress, Noble Consort Shu sat down at the first seat to the left of the empress. A smile graced her lips. “Today, us sisters have arrived early.”   

Everyone present knew that Noble Consort Shu’s elder brother accused Chongyi Zhao’s paternal family of misconduct in government affairs. At present, Noble Consort Shu’s light as a feather attitude clearly illustrated that she did not place Chongyi Zhao in her eyes.  

Zhuang Laoyan pretended not to know that everyone around was calculating against her. Lowering her eyes, she only acted as if nothing had happened. When it was all said and done… the harem could not intervene in politics.    

“Nowadays, the weather is growing colder. Yet you sisters still come early to pay respects to this palace. It must have troubled you sisters,” said the empress in a tender manner at this particular moment. “He Yu, serve the hot tea.”