65

TJOAIC 65 – THE SHOW OF WOMEN (女人戏)

If it were another person, they would not know the uses of phosphor. But Feng Jin was a different story. In his youth, he had seen some sideshow artists perform, and due to curiosity, he had asked them to explain their acts. There, a young Feng Jin learned that the fluttering “ghost fire,” which seemed somewhat frightening in the dark, had actually been the work of phosphor. 

“Your Majesty, there is a eunuch from the Department of the Palace whose ancestors were sideshow performing artists. This explains what happened last night. So it turns out the strange light involved the phosphor on that palace maid’s body.” Noticing the lack of curiosity on the emperor’s face, Gao Dezhong grew aware that the emperor already knew the reason. He added, “This slave has served in the palace for many years, yet did not know that phosphor had such a use. This slave is truly ignorant and inexperienced.”   

“It’s not just you. We only learned of this use of phosphor by chance.” Feng Jin’s spirits were comparatively better. “It’s normal that you didn’t know about this. One would fear many people in the palace aren’t aware of this use of phosphor.”  

“Your Majesty is erudite and multi-talented. This slave falls short of even a bit of your honored self’s knowledge.” Puzzled, Gao Dezhong said, “Those people clearly knew that was the only path to Xihe Palace Your Majesty could take, yet still prepared such a strange sight. Who knows what they’re thinking?”    

“Perhaps it’s because that was Our only path to Xihe Palace that someone did such a move,” said Feng Jin indifferently. “Since this palace maid’s identity and the reason for the strange blue light has been unearthed, We will have the empress investigate. Such a thing happening in the palace truly causes one unhappiness.”   

“Yes, this slave will now head to Jingyang Palace and pass on Your Majesty’s verbal decree.” Gao Dezhong noticed the emperor’s unhappiness. As such, he did not speak any further and hurried to retreat.   

As for the empress, her luck was also poor recently. Bad things happened in quick succession in the harem, yet she was unable to fully understand the causes behind them. Nowadays, the emperor spurned the Zhao clan. One would fear that in the future her position would become even more difficult.  

 Previously, the emperor had sent her a verbal decree to keep this matter under wraps. Now he sent her a verbal decree to investigate said matter. And it caused her unhappiness. So many things happened to this Xianrong Zhao, the rate practically every day. She was just an empress, but resembled the Minister of Justice in how much she had to investigate. Yet the emperor also wanted to protect Xianrong Zhao’s reputation. Even if the empress wanted to use this case to do something, she worried what the emperor would do if she did.  

“Your Majesty, what should be done?” Heyu frowned. “The matter of Xianrong Zhao’s miscarriage had just calmed down a few days ago. Why did something else happ—should this slave invite Her Highness Noble Consort Xian so that your honored selves could discuss together?”  

“Do you really think Jiang Yingxue would wholeheartedly assist me?” Grime laughter spilled from the empress’ lips. “At present, she is a noble consort and is also raising Eldest Prince. With only this palace above her in rank, how could she not develop other intentions?”  

“Her Highness Noble Consort Xian and Your Majesty have always had a good relationship. It probably would not come to that…” said Heyu in a doubtful manner.    

“In this imperial harem, there is no such thing as great sisterly affection.” The empress adjusted her expression. Once it was calm, she called for the eunuchs and palace maids who were her trusted aides. And she gave them orders.