42

TJOAIC 42 – FAVOR AND WARNING (恩典与提醒)

The women of the imperial harem had already expected the emperor to visit Xihe Palace. They found it so hateful that they gritted their teeth. Yet none of them dared to blame Chongyi Zhao at this moment. Although they all held hate in their hearts, they still spoke and acted normally around her.  

After their lovemaking session, Zhuang Laoyan leaned against the emperor’s chest. Tonight, the emperor had been very gentle. Like  he worried about hurting her body. This gave her the impression that int the end, he was not as bad as a beast.  

Maybe it was because she had napped too much during the day, but Zhuang Laoyan did not feel sleepy. She merely leaned against the emperor, as if she did not want to part with him. She closed her eyes, listening to the sounds of the night.  

“Beloved concubine cannot sleep?” said the emperor in the quiet night all of a sudden. Zhuang Laoyan did not expect him to be awake. After a moment of daze, she said, “Is Your Majesty awake because this concubine disturbed your honored self?” Then she moved her head from his chest.    

He reached out and embraced her close. Stroked her smooth and silky hair. In a low and hoarse voice, Feng Jin said, “How could We fall asleep with a beauty in Our arms?” He sneaked a kiss on her cheek. Although her face wasn’t the most beautiful in the harem, it smelled fresh and free of make up. He couldn’t help but kiss it a few more times.

Zhuang Laoyan smiled in the dark. This emperor’s pillow talk wasn’t bad. She placed her hand over his chest. A smile graced her lips. “Your Majesty always praises this concubine like this. This concubine fears that one day, this concubine would forget my original appearance.” Once the words left her lips, it appeared as if she had noticed something inappropriate with what she had said. She paused. Changed the topic of conversation. “Today, a gardener in the palace said that the flowering season had passed for the water lilies Your Majesty bestowed.”  

Flowers would wilt someday. How could beauties not grow old one day?    

Feng Jin lightly patted her back. “They’re only water lilies. We will have people send any flower that beloved concubine likes. Although flowers will inevitably wilt one day, We did not know that beloved concubine was the type to pity them.” 

“So this concubine in Your Majesty’s eyes is a person who only knows how to eat and drink, a common person unable to understand high-flown speech.” Zhuang Laoyan’s tone carried discontent. However, in the next moment, she sighed. For she understood what kind of person she was. 

Feng Jin laughed. “We have said it before. This imperial harem has never lacked women who are skilled in the four arts¹ and talented in speaking in a high-flown way. Beloved concubine need not compare yourself to others. You are different from them.”

The words of men after lovemaking could not be trusted. Zhuang Laoyan knew this herself. But she also knew that if she loved a man, once she heard such words, she should act in the following way.  

Sometimes one’s emotions could not be properly expressed in words. But body language was a different story.  

Feng Jin felt her hand on his chest faintly tremble. As if she could not even utter a word. He started to wonder how often he had used such words of praise in the harem, and how those women had reacted.    

“In this concubine’s opinion, Your Majesty is the most special.”  

Her voice was somewhat hoarse and trembling. However, it was not because her throat was uncomfortable. Feng Jin knew that the woman in his arms was moved emotionally.